Fishing Forum

Full Version: Motor help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 90 horse johnson that started acting up on me this year.
It ran fine for the first three times it was taken out this year , now it will only give me 3,000 rpm instead of 5,500 On occasion it will run at 5,500 but only for a few minutes, then it will die down to 3,000. Anybody have any input? I have a date with the Gorge next friday.I would really like to have all the 90 horse when the gorge turns on a dime.
[signature]
Sounds to me like it may be either a miss firing cylinder or fuel. I've had both and niether makes forn a fun day fish'n. Try running the motor with the cover off, and pulling one plug wire off at a time, does the motor hesitate more or no change. Did you de-winterize? Meaning change plugs treat the fuel, ect? I bought some stuff from Marine Products called Sea Foam gas treatment. Not an alcohol product but it really made a differance in the performance of the motor, now trying to find more up here in Davis county. I don;t know if im much help. good luck.
I buy my Sea Foam at Napa Auto Parts. I'm pretty sure they all carry it.
[signature]
my motor was doing the same thing a couple of years ago and it turned out to be a bad cylinder. check your plugs for fouling. im no expert, but thought id give you my 2 cents. good luck!
[signature]
check your fuel lines!!!! it sounds like your pulling a little air along with the fuel.
in fact dont check them just replace them I replace mine every year and also carry new ones in my boat at all times because even a small pinhole leak can pull air through and air is easier to draw than fuel thus you will starve your motor.
an outboard motor doesn't run like a car it doesn't accelerate by opening the venturi on the carberator it does it by advancing the timing so a constant fuel flow is vital.
dont forget to make sure that the fittings on the tanks are still good and that the vent is open.
DZ
[signature]
WHAT DID GOOBER TELL YOU. HE SHOULD KNOW. IF YOU DONT KNOW GOOBER ASK RON TO TALK TO HIM FOR YOU.
[signature]
suprised tht not one of you suggested the carburetor, It could have sucked something in that's still letting air come through, just not at what it should be.. but the rest of the posts seem to be valid points too, just Sadly enough, anything could be causing it, though I find missfiring a stretch out the window.. besides, if it missfires, running at 3000 rpm and then bumps up to what it should be running, I would think there would be a Backfire from the extra gasoline in the motor... but, who knows, It's been awhile since I delt with any motors...
wish you luck on getting that fixed man.. but, clean the air filter and make sure nothing is blockin the carb from letting air through..

Jurias

It's all trial and error.
[signature]
what year is the mator?
if it's a older motor then it might be the fule pump diaphragm..
[signature]
Kinda sounds like it might be sucking some air in the fuel line.
Hey, not to change the topic, but where did you get your Icon pic ?? I have that same pic in a book or it's the cover of one of my books. I've always like that one. later chuck
[signature]
Thanks for all the help. I think I have narrowed it down, to two things, air leaks in the lines and water in the tank. It seems that the Chevron plant shut down for a spell due to a large amount of water in thier fuel. Well I got a good dose that was shipped to duchesne. Looks like Ill have all 90 horses for the gorge,and Ill need them when I hook "OLD SPOT" to chase her down..... Yeh HAA
About my icon, I did a image search on walleye on msn image search.

Once again thanks for all the help. My boat is what keeps me sain.
[signature]