Fishing Forum

Full Version: trolling motor problem.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a 28lb thrust minnkota for my pontoon. Last year I could troll around all day and only had it die on my once and that was on a breezy day at UL where I was on the second or third setting all day. This year the first time out I discovered that my battery had gone bad. I had it warrenteed, but ever since then I don't get anywhere near the life out of a charge. It has gotten worse as the year has gone on. Is there anything about a motor that can cause it to draw excess amps causing a fast run down? Could a battery going bad damage my motor? I've pulled the prop and checked to make sure nothing is wrapped around the spindle. When I turn the prop by hand it doesn't seem rough or sticky.
[signature]
Well all electric motors do become tired over time and when they do, They draw more amps. Now I may be able to rebuild it. It takes new brushes bearing and turning the com so the brushes run straight on the comm. I would first like to have a look at the motor to make sure we can crack it open and do this. It is worth a shoot, on the older electric motors I used to be able to do this. Let me know if I can help. THe cost should be alot less then a new motor.
[signature]
When you say the battery was warranted, do you mean you got the exact same battery as an replacement? There is a big difference in batteries, as I found out the first year I had my electric. I'm assuming you are using a deep cycle battery? I don't see how a battery going bad would do any damage to your electric motor, unless it blew up but I'm no expert by any means. WH2
[signature]
Actually and bad battery can a does damage electric motors from starters to any electric motor. When your voltage drops your amps increase when this happens the motor is not working and turning right and increases heat! Alot of people seem to think just because it turns it is working right. Infact bad batterys account for more then half my business. In a car it can and does take the alternator and starter out. So a bad battery will hurt your motor. Oh and voltage doesn't mean the battery is good either. Many bad battery's still read 12 volts but they don't hold that when a load is put on them. I could talk volumes about this but I just don't have the time to right a paper on electric theory.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Bassackward, now I know the rest of the story. That is why I put in that disclaimer, saying that, "I'm no expert by any means", there is always someone that knows more about almost any issue. I'm glad we have some one like you on the site that we can go to when we have problem with our electric motors. What area do you live? WH2
[signature]
I live in Salt lake area. I wasn't trying to put you down in any way. I have been in the alternator starter business for over 10 years now. In that time I have learned more then I even thought I would about batteries and DC electric stuff. Oh by the way everyone there is a big difference between marine so called deep cycle batteries and a true deep cycle battery. That is why I only use a true deep cycle battery for my trolling motor. As for car batteries I only use delco delphi or interstate The rest are crap in my eyes. The little extra money is worth the peice of mind I get knowing my battery will last and not hurt any other components of my car.
[signature]
Not a problem Mike, I did not know a battery could damage a motor like that, I'm glad you had the low down.
[signature]
As much as it hurts me to say this, Mike is right. OUCH!!!! If he charges you anywhere near the cost of a new one, let me know, and I'll take care of him from here. LOL. It maybe just a real simple fix, but its worth looking into before you buy another one. You have nothing to lose by looking.
[signature]
Thanks a bunch for all of the info everyone. I'll bring the motor by in the next day or two and let mike take a look at it.
[signature]