Fishing Forum

Full Version: Mantua 8-24-05 Big Perch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We went to Mantua tonight. We didn't catch much but we did see some large 5+ lbs. Bass. My friend had a bass bust a small bluegill on his line. It was very cool. We were trying to catch fish next to the boat for the kids but when those bass were cruising around the bluegills just stopped and watched the bass.

Here is a pic of our perch we caught. One is pretty large it is 10" and possibly the largest perch I have ever caught. The big perch wouldn't hit anything that was not right on the bottom. We were using worms. That big perch is almost a cooler bender [sly]

[inline Dcp01734.jpg]
[signature]
[cool]So, pennyfarmer, how many bluegill would you guess you caught?
[signature]
We didn't catch too many. I think that the fish are getting pretty picky and not taking bait very readily. I know a few months ago you couldn't keep them off your line and had to have a large jig head to keep the small ones from swallowing the hook. This time I didn't need a large jig head to keep the small ones off. The perch where caught on a small octopus hook with worm.

I did catch one small bass with a very small white rappala. But like I said I have a hard time getting any fishing in when I bring the kids.
[signature]
I am scheduled to take a man and his two young sons to Mantua on Saturday afternoon. I told him the fishing for bluegills had been hot. Has anyone else fished Mantua recently, and if so how did you do?
[signature]
DID YOU CATCH ANY BLUE GILLS IF SO HOW MANY
[signature]
Rick welcome to BFT. A little friendly unsolicited advice. When you respond to a post make sure you do a "Post Reply" to the post by the person who made the post you want to reply to your question, rather than the last post on the thread. For example, you replied to my post and you intended your question for pennyfarmer. Secondly, please unlock your CAP key. Many of us find it difficult to read a message that is in all caps. It is like the entire message is shouting.
[signature]
Ya i guess you are right sorry about that it looks
a little rowdey dont it
[signature]
Kent,
I fished Mantua this morning. I got a lot of bites from small blue gill and a lot of small perch. I was fishing for bass and using a 4/0 hook, so i didn't hook any. I was getting little hits just about every cast, and they would follow my offerings clear to my tube. Caught several 12-14'' Large mouth bass as well. Good luck!
[signature]
Thanks Clint -- that sounds encouraging. What were you using to catch the bass?
[signature]
I switched between a "gulp" 3'' crawdad and a " maniac" 4'' salt stick in a pumpkin seed color. Both were texas rigged.
[signature]
hey kent this time my question is to you
do you no if the bluegill are biting up there?
if so on what
[signature]
[size 1]"I am scheduled to take a man and his two young sons to Mantua on Saturday afternoon."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I will let you and everyone else on BFT know after I get back on Saturday.[/size]
[signature]
those are some nice perch,is that the avarage size of perch up there?
[signature]