Fishing Forum

Full Version: Bullfrog (Boil City)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got back from 3 days at Bullfrog. We had a ball chaseing the boils. We mostly stayed in the Bullfrog area. Everytime we tried somewhere else we would up back at Bullfrog .Wound up with 22 stripers for the weekend and lost probably twice that many. We mostly used A zara spook and would kind of walk the dog through the boils and they would hit it like a freight train. The wife even had one that jumped up and took her lure before it hit the water.
My wife has never been one to chase boils but now I'm afraid I'm going to have to get her professional help.

a-b
[signature]
Thanks for the report a-b, I'm planning on going down in a little over a week and any info will be helpful. Did you try trolling or jigging? WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]That's what I'm talkin' about! I'll be in Bullfrog from the 9th thru the 15 of September. I just hope the top water action keeps up at it's frenzied pace. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Reading other reports and talking to people who've recently been down there, did you have any trouble getting the fish to hit? I've seen a lot of reports of ghost boils and fish not wanting to hit lures during the boils. Did you do any night fishing? What kind of size were the fish? Thanks for answering all my silly questions.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Nice report allan,I told you it was fun chaseing those boils .They hare just crazy and rip the pole right OUT of your hands!!!..That was cool they were boiling in bullfrog bay,you didnt have to go clear down lake like I did!..What were the sizes??Anything big??Stripers are RUTHLESS ANGERY fish when they boil!![sly][sly]
[signature]
I did try a little jigging in the back of Mokie while we were just hanging out enjoying the sun but no luck. I'm told that if you drop a spoon down about 100 feet and then reel like crazy right after a boil sounds you can do real good but I did'nt try it. The fish we cought ranged from about 2-4 pounds but fought like 10 pound fish.
I thought about trolling a couple times but I would have had to tie the wife to her seat to do it. She hooked one that I would have killed to get a look at it took her all the way around the boat and allmost took her and her pole overboard. It had to be a dandy.

We fished mostly accross from the boatramp, accross from the bouy fields and north of the bouy fields. Like I mentioned we used mostly zara Spooks in kind of a shad color. When you retreive it give your rod tip a little twitch and It seems get their attention better.
Keep a close eye on Waynes Words for currant updates. We'll be back the last week of September I hope there are a few boils still.

a-b
[signature]
WOW that sounds like you had a great time!! Its to bad you didnt see that big one your wife hooked into! Maybe next time!![crazy][Wink]
[signature]
hey utfishguy31.. my birthday is coming up in two weeks, how bout taking me down to powell for a birthday present? [Tongue]
[signature]
If your wife will let you go ALONE..Then we can go!![Wink][Wink]
[signature]
I was down there last Friday and Saterday. We went down to Annies Canyon. Stripers boiled for only 2 hours each day. They didnt last long, about 20 to 30 seconds. We did boat around 25. Average size 6 to 7 pounds. Did manage to catch a 4 pound eye, before the big blow came up. That was one rough ride back to Bullfrog. I "thought" I had sea legs. For the rest of that night and into the morning my head was spinning.
There was a guy and a lady in a 15 footer with what looked to be like a 15 horse stern drive trying to get out of the waves. I feel for them, some of the swells we went threw were 6 to 7 foot swells. Spooky would be a good word for it.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You said you boated around 25 fish despite no boils. What techniques work to put fish in the box?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
The boils only lasted "20 to 30 seconds," must have chased 40 or so. Missed half of them, some were close to the boat allready. Just enough time to cast once and hook up once before they went down. We trolled husky jerks at 30 to 40 feet when not chasing boils that gave us five. Vertical jigging only earned me one. The rest were casting spooks on the short lived boils.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thanks for the info, oldspot. I'm surprised that speed jigging didn't produce better once the fish sounded. I'm really looking forward to getting down there again. I hope we can hook up on the same quaility of fish you did. 6 to 7 pound stripers rock![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]