Fishing Forum

Full Version: rockport report 8/28
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jj74

went up to rockport yesterday morning, got there about 8. i watched a couple of guys on shore pull in 3 nice bows in the short time it took me to get my tube ready to go. so i got to thinkin' it's been a looooooooong time since i tried to catch me some troutskis perhaps i'll give it a whirl. got in the water and had a senko already rigged up from my last outing, tossed it out while i was goin' through the ole' spinner/rapala tackle box lookin for something to entice a trout. it wasn't out more then 30 seconds before somethin' was nippin at it. i was thinkin' perch, then WHAM! not a perch, it was a smallie. next thought: to hell with these trout! i'm fishin for bass. ended up landing 12 of them (had about 4 or 5 more i got a look at before they shook loose) working back and forth across the dam in the tube. my buddy got 6 more. anywhere from 8" to 12". not too big but fun nonetheless. most were caught on a 4" senko wacky rigged very slowly bounced on the bottom about 10 feet off the dam parralel to the dam. agressive little suckers. coulda had a lot more, had hits on almost every cast but i switched to a 5"er to keep the smaller ones off. ---side note--trout were being caught non stop off the shore where the dam and the shoreline meet all day. looked like powerbait was the key. the lake was not too crowded till we left at about 1 and the power squadron pretty much stayed away from our side. two jet skiiers came close and immediately had a lil' meeting with the fish cops.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the report, There is nothing like ripin on the Smallies!
[signature]