Fishing Forum

Full Version: My Son The "I'll Go Get It, Mom" Hero Of The Day Fisherman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,
r-b-f here with a fishing story that actually happened about 20 years ago.
We lived in Mexico in a small agricultural town called,Meoqui in the state of Chihuahua. Our humble 3 1/2 room house was on the roadside of a spring fed canal.Fishing was always great! Just out the front door.My 2 oldest boys learned to swim in this canal. The depth would range from about 3 feet to 6 or 7' depending on the rain and usually crystal clear.It to this day has current (when it has water). One evening I has the bright idea to leave a line out all night to catch dinner for the next day,so I did.
The next morning,after milking our 2 cows and about 30 goats,we go down to check the line I had left baited with some thin worms,the night before. Well,the line was still there (many carp big enough to easily break the line) and still tied to the tree. So far so good. Getting to the "bridge"(a small dock type structure made of long boards for walking on),my son Eddy sees that the line is way up in the cattails.I told him to wait,I was going to go back inside to change into my swimming suit(shorts and t-shirt) and will be right back to get our catch.This because the canal was running a little deep,but clear. He said,"Wait,Mom,I can get it!" I thought for a moment,then decided to let him test his skill.Well,he always was good at everything he did! So, here he goes into the water. "Mom,it's too deep." he says to me. "Gently hold and follow the line," I told him,"It will take you to the fish." He followed my instructions very carefully,then ducked underwater.In a few seconds he came back up and in a "I'm Mr.Macho" tone of voice (I'm snickering),tells me that he has found the fish and it's a big one! Oh boy! He followed my next instructions again,very carefully. To move very slowly so as not to spook the fish(it was asleep,aparently not aware that it was caught).Spooked,if it got hom tangled in the line,it could cause him to drownd or maybe to be severly cut by the line.So he moved very slowly again,following the line,managed to bring up the fish and almost out of the water.It was a huge carp! About 3 feet long.Eddy said the head of the fish was bumping his knees.I could see the huge tail.It was easily 10 inches wide.But something just didn't seem right! With all of this gentle movement,the huge fish hadn't even moved. Ok,here comes my hero of the day,fish in arms (head down,tail up). The water now comes to just below his waist. My best guess is that fish must have been in a very sound sleep,because when it was out of the water up to about the front fins....it woke up!!! My son tightened up what grip he had which (I'm again guessing)triggered the fish's instinctive thoughts for escaping and with it's huge tail pollitely wholloped my son upside the head! I was then in an uncontrollable laughter and my poor son,still with a good grip on the fish,lost the final battle with another slap across the face from the fish's tail. He came out so mad(meanwhile I still can't stop laughing) and said,"All that work to be made a clown of by a **** fish!"
I hope you enjoy my story.It is true. [Wink]
[signature]
that is a rib tickler...LOL
[signature]