Fishing Forum

Full Version: Rocktrout!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got to Rockport and started fishing at 8 am. On my first drop I nailed a perch. My sonar screen was actually full of fish. I was fishing in 37 feet of water. For the next 10 minutes I caught perch every drop, after ten minutes the perch came to a screeching halt. Using my sonar I picked up alot of suspended trout. Caught about 10 to 12 of them, all nice rainbows in the 17-19 inch range. Everyone else I talked to complained about the slow perch fishing, said the weekend was hot, but today was not. Ice depth was 6-7 inches, fished highway side straight across from the ramp and also the dam.

Posted are the 4 fish I brought home for table fare!!!
[signature]
hey Polokid , glad you did well. I was the lone fisherman on the east side of the lake. I did not do well at all, tried all the spots i usually do well at, i guess the fish were not interested in my Homer Simpson Beer can jig today [Smile]. I did not mark any fish on the finder , tried depths from 12 to 45 feet. I guess the west side is the ticket right now.
[signature]
I was thinking about hiking the rest of the way over to the East side, glad I didnt. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
I ALWAYS HAVE DONE BETTER ON THE WEST SIDE. ALSO IF ANY OF YA DONT KNOW THIS. AFTER YOU GET THE 1ST PERCH. POP OUT ONE OF ITS EYEBALLS AND SEND IT DOWN ON THE SAME JIG OR SPOON. THIS WILL INCREASE YOU BAG BIG TIME.
[signature]
Nice catching Rob. How is the ice holding up with these warmer temperatures?
[signature]
It looks like the perch has not hurt the trout. They look nice and fat...

[signature]
The ice seemed to be doing good. There was still a little over an inch of snow on top. On the bad side, the ice holes from yesterday did not freeze up over the night. And with the weather forcast, might not freeze for a few more days. But there was a solid 6-8 inches of ice all over the reservior. People were fishing out from the ramp, and all along the west side. Report from people fishing the ramp was poor to non existant catching, while everyone fishing in the area I was in was at least scrapping a few fish, mainly trout.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Rob I am hoping to give it a try Friday or Saturday. I would rather catch the trout than those pesky perch anyways.
[signature]
Mike ya gots to try to eat one....MMMmmm...or tell me when your goen and Ill keep um...Yea baby!

Skipper
[signature]
Hey Skip I will not let you down, I will give you the first carp I catch. You will love it! Serve it with some rice and a pinch of lemon.
[signature]
see MGB your comen around....now I probly could cook you some carp, that would be maybe close to cod "sept the bones" I dont think you would know the differance...my place...you catch it.. Ill cook it...and I will not spare the lemon>>...Yea baby..

Skipper
[signature]
Way to go on the trout , and perch Rob . Perch are on the move so you need to find where they are running thru and wait . Don't let them fool you about the weekend fishing being HOT!! . It was by no means hot . LOL . My hole froze over about every 5 minutes . I should be there some more this weekend .. Thanks for the report .
[signature]
Happy to see you found the trout Rob. I will be there either on Friday or Saturday. I was thinking about trying closer to the inlet. I will have my radio on channel 7. If anyone else takes one give me a shout.
[signature]
Those look like some nice big fat trout. I noticed while up there on the soft water this year alot more bigger trout have been caught.

Anything interesting in their bellies? Or was it all perch and crawdads?
[signature]