Fishing Forum

Full Version: Which Sorel Boots for Strawberry Slush?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, my 7+ year old Goretex Northlake Superboots did not hold up to the Strawberry slush last weekend. At the end of the day my boots were soaked thru and thru, curiously, my feet were still relatively dry, which I thought was impressive, but since the leather outers were soaked...my feet were starting to get cold.

Kent had on some nice Sorels, and I want to get some just like them but I don't know which kind they were? At Sportsmans, they have the $79.99 "Adventure Trail" rated fully waterproof and down to -20 below zero. They appear to be fairly rigid, good for moderate hiking, etc. The other choice is the "Mounty" at $64.99 but are good for -40 below zero. Yet these don't look as sturdy for hiking as they look more rubbery.

What do you all wear out there that keeps your feet WARM and DRY even at Strawberry right now?...I'm not ready to spend another $250 on boots right now...I want to keep it under $100.00.

Thanks!
Randy
[signature]
I wear my army surplus white "mickey mouse" rubber boots. They keep you dry and warm. In the slush, I know I'm not hiking a ton, so that's not an issue and they have never let me down in 12+ years. Still wearing the same pair. They are 10"+ and are great IMO. I have Sorrells and Gore-tex snow boots, both are left home when the slush hits.

F4F
[signature]
For your reading pleasure:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=222573;#222573"]Click here[/url]:
[signature]
I'm with you f4f. My Mickey's have been fail proof for 10 years now. How do these seemingly thin ribber boots actually work??? Actually, I guess it is trapped air??? Anyways, It's amazing!
[signature]
Go to Sportsmans and ask for the Baffin ones, they go up to almost your knee and are rated for -150. Trust me, they are worth the 100 bucks. By far better than the Sorel brand and compete with the TransAlaska ones.
[signature]
I have Sorel Glaciers and they work great. 100% waterproof all the way up to the top fo the boot which is about 15-16 inches high. They are also rated at -100 below zero temps. Sportsmans has them for $99.

[Image: NM1042.jpg]
[signature]
This is the bestes on wheels.

[signature]
I have to third the mickey mouse boots for water proof and warmth. I have a nice pair of Sorels that I have used for a couple of years and my feet always got cold, every trip. Last year I tried Carp Punisher's mickey mouse boots. After that trip I bought myself a pair and my feet haven't been cold since. I used to wear two or more layers of socks and everything else I could think of to keep my feet warm. Now, with my mickey mouse boots I wear just one pair of socks and my feet always feel good.

I bought mine on E-bay and my total cost, shipping inlcuded, was around $42. These boots are just as comfortable, if not more so, than my Sorels, and they are absolutely water proof and warm. Try on a pair at an army/navy store to get your size. If they don't have a good deal at the army/navy store get online and grab a pair. Look on E-bay under military bata boots or mickey mouse boots.
[signature]
The Baffin's I bought (Impact) aren't 100% waterproof though (I thought there were supposed to be. Emailed the company and found out there aren't). So, be aware of that. I found that out in the deep slush up at Huntington earlier this season. They seem to keep my dry in moderate slush, though.
[signature]
Rocky also makes a great full waterproof boot for under $90.00 @ Sportsman's.
[signature]
That is good to know. The salesman at Sportsmans swore up and down they were water-proof. I wonder if there is something that can be applied to waterproof them.
[signature]
I happened to stop in the General Army Navy Outdoor Store at 4974 S Redwood Road during my lunch break today. They have a variety of insulated boots, including most of the ones recommended above at very reasonable prices. Those looking for boots may want to check them out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]They also have good prices on gloves and a lot of other goodies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, they also have ice cleats back in the boot section...about 7 bucks a set.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Mickey mouse boots will never let you down. Sorels don't compare to the rubber Mickey mouse boots. I used Sorels for years, but finally got smart about seventeen years ago and purchased the mouse boots. The boots with the liners in them don't take long to get flattened and wore out, then you get cold. Most liner style boots are only rubber on the foot part of the boot, so it doesn't take much slush to get wet feet! You will spend way more money buying the sorels and liners then you ever spent on one pair of Mouse boots. But good luck on finding the Mickey Mouse boots, They can be hard to find.
[signature]
Thanks for all the replies...my Superboots have STILL not dried out from last Monday, so it was imperative that I bought some tonight so that I could fish tomorrow!
Well, I went to Sportsmans at lunch, then I stopped at Army/Navy on the way home and ended up buying the Sorel Glaciers because I got them for $59.95!!! (I bought some other items while I was there and got a package deal...)
They have a lot of used Mickeys there, and had I not got the deal on the Sorels I probably would have bought a pair ($49.95 used).
I'll let you know how the boots worked out, they are supposed to be good to -100 below...
Thanks again!
By the way, I'll be at Huntington trying to put a Tiger Trout on the board for 2006!
Randy
[signature]
I also have a pair of glaciers that I bought last winter & I think You'll be Happy with them, I am
[signature]