Fishing Forum

Full Version: Power auger help!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in the process of buying a new power auger, just like some feedback on the best one? Eskimo,Jiffy or Strikemaster? I really like the new Strikemaster lite only 20lbs with 4hp engine but I'd just like some of your input. Thanks Wayne
[signature]
i have an eskimo MAKO 8 incher. i love it. had it 2 years now and had no problems with it.
[signature]
I personally like my Strikemaster 224. The ability to drill holes at an angle has been great. The fish actually have a ramp to slide out on. Also if a larger hole is needed you can overlap your holes to make them bigger. Nice option when fishing for big Macs or dipping for cisco.
[signature]
I got a new Eskimo Barracuda for xmas. $220 at Hooked. Worked great at strawberry last weekend.
[signature]
I love my auger, but if I had to do it over again I would go for a lighter model. So what if it takes a few more seconds to drill a hole, it sure would be nice to have less weight to drag up the hill at the end of the day.
[signature]
Don't know anything about the the new ones but my Eskimo 8 inch that I bought in 1984 is still going strong. This year I finally had to change the blades.

[signature]
[reply]
Don't know anything about the the new ones but my Eskimo 8 inch that I bought in 1984 is still going strong. This year I finally had to change the blades.

. [/reply]

Just changed the blades??? You must not use it enough [Wink][Tongue]

I'm with Kent, if your on foot, the lighter the better. Things seem to be a lot heavier at the end of a long day and a steep walk up a dam or hill.
[signature]
I've been seeing reports of problems with Jiffys this year on other sites . I own a Eskimo , and it works great for me . I punch a lot of holes in a day , I'm on my 5th tank fill on my auger this season . Some of the strikemasters have been getting good reviews .
[signature]
I use it plenty every year. It wasn't uncommon for me to drill 100 holes a day down at Yuba during the prime years...and at Deer Creek...when it use to freeze over.

I carried a file to sharpen the blades, cause I never was able to find replacements at that time. So I got used to sharpening them. Then spotted some and replaced them just this year.

Guess you could say it just wasn't that high on the priorities to go looking for replacement blades...I was too busy fishing.

[signature]
just ribbin ya a bit.

I would rather fish too then look for blades, prolly why it takes me forever to punch a hole now lol.
[signature]
got a ten inch eskimo my wife likes it rea well
[signature]
i got a new Eskimo barracuda plus 8" this year and it works good..

but i had the pleasur of trying a lazer 10" last year at the gorge with coldfooter.. and must say it is a nicer auger than the Eskimo i got..

about 200.00 more that the Eskimo tho..
[signature]
Arent most waters limited to 6" holes, except for bear and gorge that have a 10" limit?
[signature]
nope 12" hole across the widest point.. except at bear lake the gorge and fish lake..

on them the hole can not be bigger than 18"
on bear lake there is no size limit on the hole if your netting for cisco.. all other fishing holes must stay under the 18" size..
[signature]
[Smile] i have a strikemaster 8" power auger and have had it for 13 years and i would hate to count all the holes that i have cut with it for myself and friends. my dad and a friend of mine both have 8" strikemaster power augers and they are still running after at least 20 years with no problems. my strikemaster 8" magnum III has a 49 cc motor and is running as good as the day i bought it with the original single chipper blade. i love mine but if i was getting a new one i would look at the strikemaster lazer mag power auger as i tried one and it will cut a hole in record time. trfishin
[signature]
Bought a barracuda last year. some issues with it but i have to say the customer service was VERY GOOD, (the engineer gave me his cell # in case i needed him while he was at the packer/viking game!!). I upgraded to the 10" Z51 shark and i'm happy with it. Sports Whse and Eskimo gave me full credit on the trade. It's not a unit i would carry by hand though.
Frank
[signature]
I debated between the strikemaster and the eskimo; ended up buying the eskimo shark Z51 because it was less $$ and seemed to have the blade shape I wanted (turbo cut). So far I really have no complaints with the shark. I've only had it since Christmas and have dug about 80 holes. I have a strikemaster hand auger and wouldn't trade it for another. When I posted a similar question about augers, the basic recommendations were 1) they're all pretty good. 2) Take good care of them and they'll serve you well. 3) Some have more bells and whistles but also cost alot more. I prefer the turbo cut to the single blade and the blade with the circular metal band at the blade. I've heard of some having problems with them freezing in the hole while fishing.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether they think the power augers scare off the fish or adversely affect it?
[signature]