Fishing Forum

Full Version: Possible new world record typical Whitetail Deer: Iowa!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Ghost

A possible new world record Whitetail has been taken. Hopefully we can get a pic of the Monster posted soon. It is unbelieveable!
[signature]
I think that minasota still holds the record, michigan's record is in excess of 460 pounds.

I had taken one that pushed 420 and it made me look small. I am at 230 in the photo. I see if I can find it and post it here,

the real kicker was my white tail dwarfed my buddies elk. that weighed 350
[signature]
Is this it? [center][Image: Iowa02.jpg][/center]

Iowa 2002 No details December 30, 2002 We couldn't sit on this one while we waited for more details – Iowa archery 2002 is all we have. That's two hogs from Iowa.Know anything about this buck?Update: A couple of TrophyWatch Watchers have chipped in with this information:We've learned the hunter is Harlan Swehla. The buck was arrowed in the Iowa Army Ammunition Plant near Burlington, IA. on November 2. Unofficial gross score is 240".
Compliments of: [url "http://www.boone-crockett.org"]http://www.boone-crockett.org[/url]
[signature]
what a coat rack,

I could open up a fine dinner and still have more tines to spare.

I thought when he said big he ment body size. wasnt expecting points,

I dont know if I could have pulled the trigger on that one.

the shock alone of seing it for the first time would have froze my finger trigger let alown my quiver hand.

was this any one we know?
[signature]
poor guy , it's all downhill from now on for him . he might as well take up fishing . cause he ain't gonna break his own record now .
[signature]
AIN,T THAT TRUE! HEY THERE LONEHUNTER! I WENT HUNTIN OVER IN BLEEKER NEW YORK, THIS ONE STUNNED ME! MY GOD THE ONLY WAY HE GOT DOWN THRU THEM WOOD WAS ON THE LOGGIN TRAIL AND THRU THE THICKETS HE HAD HIS HEAD RIGHT DOWN CRASHIN THRU. I SAW HIM TWICE. THAT ONE DAY WHEN HE WAS JUST A CRASHIN THRU AND THE LAST DAY OF HUNTIN SEASON. AND I JUST COULDN,T SHOOT HIM> HE WAS AN OLD BOY. I,D GONE HUNTIN OVER THERE BOUT 8 YEARS STRAIGHT, AND NEVER GOT A GOOD SHOT AT HIM GOT GLIMPSES, HARD RUGGED COUNTRY, THICK AND MEAN WHERE I WENT.HIS TERRITORY, AND HE WAS UP IN AGE THEN. BUT THIS LAST YEAR I FIGURED WOULD BE HIS LAST. I DON,T KNOW I JUST FELT. IT AND I JUST THOUGHT HE,D LIVED HIS LIFE FREE AND A SMART OL BUCK HE WAS, I JUST COULDN,T SHOOT HIM. HE WAS LAYIN IN THE BLACKBERRY BUSHES IN THE SUN AND I WAS UP ABOVE HIM LOOKIN DOWN ON HIM, HIS HEAD WAS TIRED AND HEAVY FROM THOSE POINTS THAT WERE JUST BEAMIN IN THE SUN. I TOOK THAT PICTURE IN MY MIND CAUSE I KNEW I WOULD NEVER GIT ANOTHER ONE OF HIM. I LET HIM BE. I,M GLAD I DID. I GUESS IT JUST WOULDN,T OF MADE ME FEEL GOOD TO DOIT. HE,D LASTED THAT LONG. SURVIVIN. I,M NOT PUTTIN YOU GUYS DOWN FOR DOIN IT DON,T TAKE IT LIKE THAT. BUT THIS WAS ME. I FOUND OUT WHEN I WALKED IN THE STORE LOOKED ON THE WALL AND SAW THOSE ANTLERS , I KNEW IT WS HIM. I CAN STILL SEE HIM LAYIN IN THE THICKETS. THAT,S HOW I LIKE TO REMEMBER HIM. HE TOOK BOONE AND CROCKET .THEY FOUND HIM. HE,D DIED NATURALLY. PRAY HE DID,NT SUFFER BUT I WAS HAPPY HE WENT HIS OWN TIME HIS OWN WAY. AT LEAST IN MY MIND I CAN REMEMBER HIM CRASHIN THRU THEM TREES AND HIS SOUL STILL LIVIN OUT THERE WHERE IT SHOULD BE CAUSE THERE AIN,T TOO MANY THAT SEE THAT KIND OF DIGNITY IN DIEIN ANYMORE AT LEAST HE DID.AND I FEEL GOOD AT THAT. I GOT A BEAUTIFUL 8 POINT 160 AND WAS PROUD OF HIM AND THAT WAS IN MY TIME WHEN I WAS READY, I GUESS WE ALL HAVE TO DOIT IN OUR OWN TIME AND IN OUR OWN WAY, NO MATTER WHAT IT IS WE,RE DOIN.
[signature]
OH, I,M GLAD FOR YOUR BUCK. BEAUTIFUL. HOPE YA HAD A GOOD TIME. ANYWAYS I FORGOT TO TELL YA THAT. WHAT I,M SAYIN IS I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO HAVE A CHANCE TOO. ANYAYS OLD BUCKY, THE ONE I,M TELLIN YA ABOUT WENT 260 OR 270 LBS I FORGIT BUT HE WAS BLONDE AND BEAUTIFUL JUST LIKE HIM. TAKE CARE HAVE FUN MARE.[cool]
[signature]
hey mare , i have done the same thing , not with a big old brusier like yours , mine was a six point , but the prettyst deer i ever saw . i was sitting in a cluster of young pine trees watching the path the deer were traviling down when i heard this snort coming from my right , i drew up on my bow and slowley stood up to see him not more than ten feet away , well we just stared at each other wondering what the other was going to do . well if i was to shoot it would have been in the bucks head , but it was the prettyest buck i ever saw , i couldn't do it .i still to this day don't know exactly why i wasen't going to shoot it , i'm a pretty darn good shot with a bow . it just wasen't going to be that buck . so we just stared at each other for a bit then it put it's head down and just disapeared like it was never there .

someone else might have gotten him , i'll never know , but what i got from that deer can't be taken from me , it can't be bought or sold . it will always be mine . just like you and your buck .
[signature]
GOOD BOY FOR GRAMPA, EXCEPT GRAMP USE TO SAY GIRL HAHA! SO VERY TRUE!I HEAR YA. [cool] THAT STILL TO ME IS WHAT MAKES HUNTIN HUNTIN HAHA GOOD TO HEAR FROM YA. THAT REALLY IS ONE NICE BUCK TO BE PROUD OF, MAYBE THE REASON WHY I DID THAT, I JUST GOT THINKIN, IS MAYBE IN A WAY I KNEW I WOULD ONE DAY BE LIKE HIM, GITTIN OLD AND TIRED LIKE I AM NOW, HAHA NOT BEIN ALE TO TRAVEL MY MOUNTAINS LIKE I USE TO, TO SEE A BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL LIKE HIM I DON,T PUT A FINGER ON IT, BUT I AM GLAD THE WAY I LEFT IT NOW. I CAN STILL SEE HIM. AND I,M GLAD YOU GOT YOURS TOO TO REMEMBER.AND IT WOULD OF BEEN A SHAME TO SPOIL THAT BEAUTIFUL SPECIAL ONE. I REALLY DON,T THINK THERE,S TOO MANY THAT HAVEN,T HAD AN EXPIERIENCE LIKE THAT ONCE IN THEIR LIFE, IF THEY LOVE HUNTIN LIKE WE DO.IT,S ALMOST AS IF THEIR,S JUST SOMETHIN SPECIAL, ABOUT THESE SPECIAL ONE THAT HITS US LIKE THAT, I FIGURE MAYBE, HE MAKES US LOOK DEEPER INTO OURSELVES AND THE CHOICES. WE CAN AND DON,T TAKE. IN OUR LIVES. MARE[Smile] RIGHT WRONG OR INDIFFERENT I KNOW I MADE THE RIGHT ONE FOR ME THAT TIME. AND SO DID YOU. YOUR ALRIGHT IN MY BOOK LONEHUNTER! HAAHAWRITE ME WHEN YA CAN MARE.TO YOU AND YOURS[cool][Smile][sly]
[signature]
THIS MIGHT CAUSE A RUCKUS, BUT HERE IT GOES ! . iF THAT DEER WAS SHOT IN A CONFINE AREA ( FENCED IN WITH A FENCE THAT THEY CANNOT GET IN AND OUT ) WHICH IS USSALLY THE CASE ON MILATARY BASES OR ANYTHING TO DO WITH FIREARM AND AMMO FACTORYS , I DON'T THINK IT SHOULD BE ENTERED INTO BOONE AND CROCKETTE BOOK, OR UNLESS THEY START A CLASS FOR GAME FARM BUCKS ! DON'T GET ME WRONG, THAT IS A WORLD CLASS BUCK, AND IF SHOT IN FAIR CHASE, SHOULD BE ENTERED IN THE BOOKS ! SORRY IF THIS OFFENDED ANYONE, ITS JUST MY THOUGHT ON THE SUBJECT, WHATS YOURS ? FLAGMANONICE
[signature]
hey guy, was wonderin, is there rules in the boone and crockett for that? if not seems though it,s open game for anyone who gits a nice buck like that. over in nh, there is a game preserve and it runs the whole length of the state where animals are in side the fence. this means the whole state. and it,s huge. they also have a club. to belong to. but to me when your archery huntin your mostly in the tree waitin for the deer to come under ain,t ya? he comes to you. it,s not like rifle when your out walkin and trackin. right place right time no matter how ya look at it. but mostly it,s the size your goin by anyways ai,t it? and points. not where ya got it . it still grows don,t it no matter where it is. that why it sounds like this is a foolish question to me> or jealousy is the interpeter here. i know that cobins park is so big they don,t have the man power to check all the fencin and i know animals have gotten out. they have boar there in and out of the fences. i think that if this is the place your talkin about it,s probably on the line of corbins park too. well then if it is it is a shme to put limits on someone takin boone and crokett just because its in a area you don,t reccommend. he did a good job he was in the right place right time to git him and it took skill to git him. he tookl a good shot and didn,t let him suffer, and run just to git a shot in him to git him like some do. at least it didn,t lookd it and he was in a tree or sittin like ya have to in archery. which took skill so why shouldn,t he. put it in the boone and crockett. it,s not like an enclose area tha is 20 mile radius or in your back yard under the tree. and if ya didn,t want to open that door then why did ya/ya sound like the one that tried takin my deer away from me. when my deer dropped just about in front of me when i hit him in the heart.[Tongue]
[signature]
Thanks for your input Lou ! So your telling me that its ok for me to raise a buck yto trophy size,or go to a game farm and buy a buck, and harvest it, and I should be able to enter it in the book ? I think not !!!! The book is there for bucks that are taken in fair chase, and that means not in a enclosed area ! so what is a enclosed area ? well it could be 1 acre, or it could be 20,000 acres, it dont make a difference. You have to draw a line some where ,whether 1, 10, 100 , 1000 acres ? If its enclosed, its enclosed !! I'm not saying he took it in a enclosed area, but if he did, my opinion is that it should not be entered in with the bucks that are taken in fair chase, it should have a new category, thats all ! And for being jealous lou, you dont even know me and what you said at the end of your post about your deer, I took it as a insult. So if you can read people like you thought you did me, dont give up your day job !! You'll lose
[signature]
I have concerns about this deer also.

being in a confined area I am concerned that some one can control the food and water that is available for the deer.

I have seen products on the shelf at feed stores that garentee that it will grow larger horns on deer.

with this in mind I would think that a bone marow test would be needed to satify judges to be sure that the animal has not been treated by hormones and steriods.

I have seen many deer coming out of michigan with weird and unusual configured antlers. Tines pointing down antlers shaped like moose palms.

all I am saying there is room for spectulation and debate.
[signature]
hi there, well, with dave pointin this out in a better perspective, i can see what ya mean now.i see i need to apologize for my attitude on this and i,m sorry cause i wasn,t feelin good last nite and i took it out on here and you. sorry. mare. to me this is no excuse on my part cause i shouldn,t respond when i,m feelin like this. sorry again. i also have never heard of this thing givin deer steroids or controlin their feed and water! this is outrageous. things need to be fair. [Smile]
[signature]
yes and if you were lookin before you wrote this i alos after readin dave,s article as far as bein in the fenced in area,s and limits i also apoligized too before you wrote this so if you can,t take an apology then don,t give up yours [Tongue]
[signature]
[Tongue]Its ok lou, you have your opion too, I just write mine ! It probably was taken in fair chase anyway ! It wasnt just that deer I was picking on, it was on deer taken in a controled area. sorry if I came across cross. thx , flagmanonice
[signature]
[Smile][Tongue][cool][laugh]hahahha me ttoo me too haha i sometimes have a way of lettin my mouth run a way with my ____ hahah i git goin sometimes and don,t think good cause i don,t feel good most the time too and i know i shouldn,t git on here when i,m like this but right now this is all i have. sorry again guy. good huntin and fishin tha,s all that matter. haha did you see the goose dave,s got in his bathroom??? haha bet he,s havin fun! i can,t wait to hear what,s happenin with the goose and the husky haha. i CAN,T WAIT!!!! i,m takin my jack my sons fishin over o pulaski out of mexico, in august. fisrtst week we,re takin. i need it!! haha rentin nice little cabin. our little louie is goin too. haha my longhaired dashound. he rides the motorcycle with us too. ahha have fun be careful if your ice fish i was up at 130 this mornin lookin at the ice fishin reports it,s terrible so many have lost their lives this year. it,s been bitter cold up here lakes and ponds are frozen good. but ya never know with the spring spots. never know. my son said there,s 12 inches of ice good on everetts. but that is spring fed too. MAKES ME NERVOUS WHEN HE GOES BUT WHAT CAN I DO BUT TELL EM TO BE CAREFUL. I,M ONLY A MOTHER HAHA take care mare
[signature]
hey there guy, what,s with this steroid business? don,t think that,s too [cool][Tongue] don,t like that idea. later
[signature]