Fishing Forum

Full Version: When the fish aren't biting---
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]When ever I go over to my regional park to fish I also bring my camera. When the fish aren't biting - out comes the camera. Caught this Blue Heron taking flight the other day. Unfortunately it was between me and the sun. Howver, it came out okay.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14076;][/center]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have always enjoyed seeing herons. They are a lot better at fishing than most of us. They gotta be. That's their living.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On a steelhead driftboat trip down the Klamath River, in northern California, I once noticed several dead blue herons along the bank. I asked the guide about it and he said that a lot of the other guides shoot them (illegally). Those herons often take up positions along the bank and eat hundreds of steelhead and salmon smolts every day.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]I like capturing Herons stalking their prey. Here is a character that I never saw before and just discovered that is a Black Crowned Night Heron.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14313;]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good picture. When I lived in Mesa, AZ, I lived right on a community lake. There was a night heron that regularly hunted along the edge, right in front of my townhome. I don't believe I ever saw it make a strike without coming up with a fish. They are good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are some pics I took down there, on some of the fishing spots. Note the one with the circling buzzards. There used to be a lot of them roosting on the cliffs at Saguaro Lake. TubeBabe and I would joke on the walkie talkies..."Look alive".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Herons make nice subjects. I stitched these two guys into one photo. Sometimes when I go to Yorba Park [right next to the Santa Ana River] I don't even bring a rod. There are so many water fowls gathering that you can hardly wet a line.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14322;]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Not all the little people were in the water.[/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14323;]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Would have been nice to have a long piece of glass to pull those buzzards in a bit. Looks like they were posing for you. By the way how do you protect you camera while tubing? Ziplock freezer bag?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have a couple of waterproof zip bags, but I usually wear it around my neck on a stretch cord, down in between two layers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do have some closer shots.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]It is a good thing that you don't have to fight them for your catch otherwise I might have to place my bet on those wingy things.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 5][size 3]Nice pictures DRY ROD!

Figured I'd stop in and say Hello.
This looked like the perfect thread.

I havent felt a fish on the other end of a line
since October. between the weather and then a super busy schedule, I havent had time.

Hope everyone is well here!

I too take pictures while waiting for the bite.
The scenery is usually too good to just ignore!
[/size][/size][/black]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Thanks FisherMOM. Would you like to share some of your photos with us? Not sure if this guy was going to challange me for a fishing spot![/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4][/size][/green][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=14362;]
[signature]
Sure, I like to share!

here is a nest of baby Red Winged Blackbirds
that I stumbled across last spring...

[Image: babes.jpg]
[signature]
And this pictures is so ironic!!!! Silly Geese, can't seem to read!
Because they were headed to the pond for a dip!

[Image: breaking_the_rules.jpg]
[signature]
Here is my favorite pond. I took this picture a couple years ago.

[Image: Trestle_Pond_3.jpg]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Nice photos. One of those baby chicks seems to be staring you down. That pond looks like a nice peaceful spot.[/size][/green][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][size 4][green]By some of your pictures I could tell that you are from the NE. That photo of an Orange Salamander brings back memories of my childhood. Living in NY I was well aware of the Nute. At least that is what we called those cute orange Salamanders. The ones on the west coast are not what one would call Cute.[/green][/size][/font]
[signature]