Fishing Forum

Full Version: 75 HP - Tiller Control Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A local auto dealership has a Lund Boat (Late 80's) with a 75 HP Mercury motor with a Tiller Steering control. I have never seen a motor this big (HP) with a tiller control. Does anyone have any experience with this. It looks like about a 16'-17' boat, good overall condition and I think would be a good fishing machine. They have had it for a while and were asking $8500.00, which I thought was high. I was thinking of maybe making an offer, but am unsure how it would handle. Any Ideas? Thanks.
[signature]
Well, he is asking is not unreasonable compared to what I can find out about them new and used. New they start at bout 30,000 up to 40,000.

What I would suggest you do is offer him 5 thousand and work to a medium ground. This way you can have a boat mechanic work on it should that be necessary.

What ever price you decide on, make them take you for a boat ride before purchasing it. Chances are good that because it is setting at a garage leads me to think they may have done some work to it and are trying to retrieve parts and labor cost. At it's age it should have had some work done by now, (water pumps, electrical ignition and wire replacements, possibly new starter) be sure to pull the cover off and look at the starter bendix and flywheel teeth for being chipped or broken.

So again like I say, you could not buy the boat or motor new today for that price so you will have to look at every rivet, look for leek stains, look for dry rot on the floor or paneling. if you find every thing solid clean and free of dry rot then you are looking at a reasonably priced boat.

Remember boat motors don’t get much use but they are aluminum and are susceptible to oxidation.

There are a lot of boats that age here in Michigan that are in excellent structural and running condition. so long as they were kept dry, drained and maintenance kept up.

The Lund is most likely an 18-foot; boat motors of the 70 are about a third again as big as the same horse motor today. be sure you set it in the water to make sure it is not overwhelmed or setting just an inch above the water plane.

If you have any questions about the steering I would spin the wheel both directions as far at it will turn and go back and look at links look for splits and dry rot in cable housing.

Check the bilge pump examine the trailer, I am assuming there is a trailer that will come with it. If it doesn’t and you don’t have an available trailer to throw under it I would look in other directions for that price range, you will find something you can be happy with, horse power isn’t every thing if you are planning to use this boat for fishing..

What they are asking is the maximum of what I would pay and for that price I would want some guarantees on the motor like one free spring tune up and fall winterizing of the motor.

Chances are also good they got it in on a trade in for 5K and may be willing to come down considerable if you start looking at it close and they are not willing to back up a warranty on the motor. If it is a 70's model you can always tell them you can buy 80's models all day long for 9,000, and that is well with in the price range.

[signature]
All good advice from DaveT, Lunds do hold their value. It should be at least a 17' for that price. If you feel uncomfortable in steering a boat with only a tiller, then pass this one up. I couldn't think of useing only a tiller with that much HP. But thats me. Good lucki on the hunt.
[signature]