Fishing Forum

Full Version: Do you wear polarized sunglasses?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]Do you wear polarized sunglasses while fishing? Did they cost you a arm & eye?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]Unfortunately I can't wear them [straight polarized sunglasses] as I wear photogray bi-focals. I do carry flip-downs so together with my Bi's I might be able to see the eye to thread my hook. Now I understand that they do make Polarized Photogray sunglasses. Can't imagine what those might set one back. Mine with frame, prescription, carbon plastic lens, scratch resistant and photograys cost $450 last year. [unsure][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]So what are you wearing?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I hear you on the perscription thing. Thank god for clip ons[Wink] They have so many choices now. Clip ons for hats, clip on for glasses + flip, and the little stick on wedges. I do feel that glasses are a must, specially when you have that pig on and he throws the hook. I have had Maui(which are laying in the bottom at Washington Lake) and Gargoyals (which are laying in the bottom of Pineview) ----see a trend here?! I also have Orvis and Action Optics polorized in Bronze (which I still have), but lately I buy them at Walmart. Polorized, light weight, do not distort, Gray and $9.95. Live and learn.
[signature]
I don't skip on the glasses. I love the Action Optics. Great glasses. I don't want to deal with the headaches that the cheap glass give you

Trent
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]You have got that right maddawg, You only have one set of eyes and it doesn't pay to be cheap when it comes to glasses. I had a friend who went to work for a sun glass company. He said that their profit structure was obsene. Like a pair that cost $100 retail cost about a couple of bucks to make. Today a designer pair with some fancy name is probably no better than a KMart special. Glass distortion is a major factor of declining vision and or head aches. This weekend I will be attending a Fly-fishing show. They usually have a few booths promoting real fancy & very expensive polarized glasses. Like $ 200 to $300. That would get one a nice reel or rod. Go figure.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Not just the sunglass DryRod, I got a my eyes examined and I can see great in the distance, just can't see up close. Got some $40. frames and lenses that have no prescription in the top half and reading in the bottom. Granted they are seamless bi-focals, $345. for READING GLASSES! Wow! he say me coming. Then a friend told me it costs about .33 to make lenses. I do agree on the cheap sunglasses causing head aches, that is why for years they had to be name brands (Maui, Action, Oakley, Gargoyal, but while at WM I tried on a pair and they were so comfortable, and like I said no distortion, and light. The fact that they were so cheap was a bonus. That an the fact that my glasses just love to see what is at the bottom of lakes and rivers (forgot about the Orvis glasses floating down the Madison)
[signature]
FG,

What is the brand name for the WM brand? I have a pair of M-Frame Oakley's and have been looking to buy the polarized len but at 80-100 dollars just for lenses I like your idea better.
[signature]
I have two pairs of Maui Jims and a couple of Ray Bans. I run an Ebay business and get the Maui's and Ray's all the time. I just got done selling fifteen pairs of Maui's on ebay. I think they make, bar none, the absolute best lens and all of them are polarized.
[signature]
I bought some of those glasses at Wallys World too. They are inexpensive and decent optical quality. I believe that Renegade is the brand name.

Some of the other fishing places around me have those too but they charge $20 to $30 bucks for the exact same glasses.

I currently use a few different pairs of polarized glasses. My local fishing landing in the ocean has the Calcutta brand. Depending on the style or color of lense, they can run from $19 to $35. I found the same comfort and style from the Home Depot in a common brand name for tools.

DeWalt! They have nice polarized glasses that are also approved safety glasses and only run $24 bucks. They are just as stylish as the Oakley glasses but don't have the interchangeable frames.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
FG,

What is the brand name for the WM brand? I have a pair of M-Frame Oakley's and have been looking to buy the polarized len but at 80-100 dollars just for lenses I like your idea better. [/reply]
Don't know the name but they are the ones in the clear plastic glass holder, kind of wrap arounds. They just have the frame across the top (similar to the older Oakley blades) except the lenses don't come out (or they are not suppose to[Wink]) They are the grey tint and I thought that I would miss the bronze, but I love them. This summer I might want the bronze again.
[signature]
The brand name is "Renegade". How appropriate for the fly fishing people.[cool]
[signature]
I'll stick with my Oakleys. I think there is a difference between $10 polarized shades and $100+ ones. Not only is the polarizing process more controlled and better in the more expensive ones they also filter out UVA, UVB, UVC, usually the frames are better built and the lens' don't scratch as easily.
Also don't forget certain shades go with different waters.
That's just my take.
[signature]
You could be right about the polarization being better on the more expensive ones and the frames. I have had several of the expensive glasses and got tired of loosing then but, I will admit that I am hard on glasses. I also think it makes a difference who makes them and what model. I have a pair of Smiths with the glass lenses and i think they distort (at least I get headaches when I wear them)
To each their own and yes color make s a difference. Bronze for sunny, Gray for cloudy, vermillion for ocean.
[signature]
Don't know if anyone has used the foam key rings for boat keys. But if you hook those on your shades and you lose them in the water they will float. Great for stillwater but moving water you still have to catch them. That has saved my 100+ glasses plenty of times.
[signature]
Gosh, there are so many devises that make sense and you think I could use one....nooooooo. Chums (the strap that goes from ear piece to ear piece) and those foam tubes that are made to go on ear pieces and of course what you said Vegas. One pair of glasses I lost was with the clip on flip ups-a bee flying around my face and I swatted and they went flying, another pair, while water skiing, and the other pair, I put on top my head while landing a fish, bent over to let it go, reach for the glasses and they were gone too...not sure on that one what happened[Sad]
[signature]
I have a pair of lets say better than average glasses that I have to wear when outside and the sun is up due to migraines. They have a special tint on them that I need even under florescent lightes some days. That being said they suck on the water. So I go with the WM glasses and they do the job just fine most days. When I sit on them they are much less expensive to replace and I can try different tints without breaking the bank. Sometimes I try on a pair or two to find the ones I see best in but they work and isn't that all they are for if not from a doctor? Just because they are expensive doesn't mean you can see any better. If they work for you they work for you.
Please don't fall for the "extra UV protection" on expensive glasses as it is just bunk. Any glasses made of plastic or coated with plastic have all the same blocking power. The dollar store glasses block just as much as any $300 dollar pair does. The secret is the plastic.
[signature]
I have a bad habit of putting my sunglasses on my hat when I'm tying on a fly, then forgetting they are up there and taking my hat off to wipe sweat away. Plunk, into the river they go
[signature]
[right][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]How about those that are made of Carbon Plastic?[/size][/green][/font][/right]
[signature]
maddawg it is scary, you are begining to do the bad habits I do....stop it![cool]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Surgical tubing works well as a retainer.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
I always wear polarized sunglasses but I have too much trouble with losing them. The only ones I have manged to keep are ones that I keep trying to replace. The way the arms lay across, they rub up against the lenses and there are two nice big scratches right in my line of vision. So I have bought a few other pairs over the past year and I have lost every one. The last time I went to look at glasses I had them pull out the nice $100+ pairs and compared them against the under $20 ones with the glare on the glass display case. The guy working the counter was all into it. We pulled out every nice pair they had from Raybans to Oakleys. Niether of us could see a difference at all. This may be different after you have worn them for a while, but right next to each other, nothing.

Just my $.02 [Wink]
[signature]