Fishing Forum

Full Version: Eagle Fishing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[cool][#0000ff]One of the guys on the tubing board posted a link to a fly fishing chat room with a pictorial story about a guy that had a trout on his line grabbed by an eagle. I can't post the link but here is a copy and paste.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[font "Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size 2]Few things are more exciting than to see a fish on the take, and to get pictures of it!

Here’s the take:
[Image: egl1.jpg]

…and here’s the first screaming run:

[Image: egl2.jpg]

The screaming part actually came from me when I touched the smoking line with my “bird” finger.. sliced me like a razor! I was pretty deep into the backing when I broke him off. I had forgotten about the eagle being in the area, but spotted him a couple hundred yards away sitting in a tree. When I hooked the rainbow, at the first jump, the eagle was airborne, and I had time to grab my camera…. Didn’t think he was going to get the fish though, because I threw a lot of slack line to let the fish dive. Oh well…

Anyway, pretty good afternoon at a secluded, and secrete lake to the north of my place. I won’t mention the name, but the initials are Merrill Lake. Caught a couple nice, fat rainbows (besides the one to the eagle took) [Image: bow3.jpg]

...and a bunch of cutthroat, two that went over 16 inches. I had a brown on, (grand-slam?) but broke him off by being to lazy to retie a knot. [/size][/font]
[signature]
That is pretty cool Pat. Makes you wonder how many fish that bird has stolen from anglers? Perhaps he learned it is an easy catch, as the fish really can't go too far.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Aw, what the heck! Here is the link to that forum. [url "http://www.westfly.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=018213"][#000000][size 1]Eagle fishin'[/size][/#000000][/url][/#0000ff][#000000][size 1] [/size][/#000000]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Apparently, some of the other locals know that bird well and he has learned that behavior by watching anglers and learning how to bag a cheap breakfast.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pretty crazy! I think i have a tiger musky that essentially does the same thing when i find the crappie at pineview. It never fails, i hook a crappie and simultaniously a tiger slams it.
[signature]
Reminds me of the Pelicans at Strawberry. They know from miles away when you catch a fish, and come swarming in when you stop the boat from trolling to reel in a fish. I think they have caught on to the high mortality rate of some released fish and just wait around for it to pop back up. Not quiet as aggressive as that Eagle though!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]When I was living and working in New Orleans several years ago, I fished the back channels around Buras. There was a pelican that stayed in one area and lived largely off the handouts from fishermen. It had its legs frozen almost off during a heavy cold snap the previous winter. Whenever I tubed for sea trout or reds, the pelican would come in within about 30 feet of me. Whenever I caught a non-keeper or non game fish, I would stick my fingers in its gills and lob it to my big beaked friend. I'm sure I saw gratitude in its beady little eyes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also used to enjoy watching a young golden eagle at work, down below Horseshoe Dam, in Arizona. When fish were injured, coming through the spillway, seagulls would swoop down and grab them. When the seagulls lit on the rocks to dine on their prizes, the young eagle would fly in and mug them...stealing their dinner.[/#0000ff]
[signature]