Fishing Forum

Full Version: Spring Bobbers such as thill
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[size 1]Hey guys I was just wondering how these things exactly worked
Link: [/size][url "http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/tackleshop/customer/product.php?productid=17784"][#333366][size 1]http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/....php?productid=17784[/size][/#333366][/url][size 1]

So Im guessing it doesnt go all the way through the bobber you instead attach it to the spring? Anybody have a diagram or can make one. I guess I need these bead things? [/size]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey SDLAKES,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I use those kind(Thill) of floats quite a bit - sometimes they are called fixed position floats. The kind of floats or bobbers that need beads(or stoppers) are called slip or sliding bobbers. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]You are correct - your line does not go through these kind of floats - it attaches to the bottom of the lower peg underneath the spring.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]To use one, you don't need beads or stoppers of any kind on your line. All you do is slide your line in the slot that is in the peg that is under the spring - you can do this when you already have your terminal tackle already tied on your line(Tie a hook on your line, then put a split shot 6-18 inches above the hook). Just slide up the spring toward the body of the float and expose the slot that is underneath the spring, then put your line in the slot and release the spring so that it covers the slot again. The spring will then hold your line in the slot. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If you are going to use the Spring bobber, you should be aware that they are only efficient to use when fishing at less than 5 feet of depth. This is because the float does not slide on the line, but is fixed in the one position that you've decided to attach it on the line. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]For example: if you've attached the float 10 feet above your hook, you would then have 10 feet of line hanging off the end of your rod when you try to cast. As you probably know, it would be very difficult to cast with that much line out.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]My general rule of thumb is this : If I want to fish at a depth of 5 feet or less, I will often use a fixed position float(like that particular Thill). If I want to fish at a depth of greater than 5 feet, I use a float that slides on the line. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Another nice thing about the spring bobber is that you can take it off your line with out taking off your other terminal tackle. For example: if you were fishing with one at a depth of 3 feet for bluegills and decided to change tactics to fish on the bottom for catfish, all you would need to do is grab the float, slide up the spring, remove the line from the slot and you are in business.[/size][/black]
[size 3][black]Sorry about the long explaination( I don't have a diagram) and I hope it was clear enough to make some sense.[/black][/size]
[signature]
Hey thanks man, yes it help out a lot. I might have to try out both. I have a few slip thill's too.
[signature]
We call them Stick Bobbers, and they work pretty good. I crossed over from the dark side of the norm and began using them about 2 years ago. The cool feature about them is, if you match the stick bobber with the weight rig you're using, they'll stand up when you get a hit. In other words, say you're bream fishing. You put a very small split shot on and a small hook. Now, match the size bobber you need so that when your line is casted out, the bobber stays laying on it's side. When you get a bite, the bobber will stand on end.

Some people don't like it set up like that, but I do. To me, it's easier to judge when to set the hook, and over all just catch the strike.

You can get a set of "spring bobbers" from walmart for like 99 cents. They work just as good as the ones that cost 99 cents a piece. [cool]
[signature]