Fishing Forum

Full Version: i need sum advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hey everyone im kinda new at this, but anyway i've been fishing in the brandywine creek state park for the past 2 day's and havent really caught anything worth keeping or bragging about and i wuz just wonderin if sum 1 could tell me a good place to go fish in the park or in another place. thanks
Welcome aboard new-angler!!!!!! Where exactly is Brandywine Creek ST. Park at, what state? What are the water conditions? I.E. fast or slow current, how deep, what are the local species and the air temp? With that info, we might just be able to put you onto some fish. [cool]
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Believe that is on your side of the country T4Me in the state of Delaware.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
hey, brandywine st park is in delaware, rite now the water temp. is about 60, anywhere from 4-12 ft deep, local species that i've caught in there and that i kno of r sml mouth bass, lrg mouth, carp, crappie, and sunfish. mostly tho im lookin for the bass and carp.
If u can give me sum help it will be much appreciated. thanks
[signature]
Theres all kinds of ways to catch bass depending on time of year and food availible. You can still get Lgmouth bass in shallow water around weed,docks,structure like trees in the water. What they want on any given day is up to you as a fisherman to figure out. My advice to start is get some senco like worms, [Maniac makes a very good product] rig it with a #3 wide gap hook and throw it out and let it settle to the bottom. Work it back to you with slow up lift of your rod and let it settle again. Try pumkin and watermelon colors for the N.E. You can even drag that rig over Lilypads for a top water action. The fun has just begone. [Smile]
[signature]
Forget large mouth bass and go for some real fish! lol... Striper for instance.
But if you want to catch those little green fish. Go by your local tackle store and buy some smoke colored yum worms, 1/4 oz bullet weights, and some large red worm hooks. This time of year the fish are going to be holding on a deeper pattern. You want to focus your efforts around any kind of visible structure if you don't have a boat. Work the worm slowly, jiggle it slightly, don't real in. Most new anglers forget to mimic the bait they are using. They think throw it out, real it in and hope something bites. You must think like a fish to catch a fish. Think about the things you need in life, and relate them to fish, and this will make you a better fisherman.

Food Baitfish
Oxygen Oxygenated water
Climate Good Temp.
Home Structure
Etc...

Find these and you found fish! Most of the time when you are fishing and the water looks dead, no minnows, no movement, no nothing. Then you are probably in the wrong area. Look for visible signs such as Bait, and Structure, and moving water. This will increase your catch ratio. Find the Bait, you find the fish. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
[signature]

So your after Bass? Well if i was fishing bass, I would definetly fish the weed beds around your lake,I use frogs so ya if allowed by your regs[Wink] Oh ya they dont have to be right on top of the water either.Morning time is great for top water poppers and floating frogs if its calm. But if they dont bite off the top let your frog and spit shot bounce off the bottom near or beside weed beds through out the day. Try leeches they seem to be a hot lil number in my local lake for smallies. Hope this helps ya land that hawg. Like the post before this one Bait!!! will provide you with some action forsure.
[signature]
All the aformentioned advice is good advice, you should capatilize with it. gdn is a "maniac" for Maniac lures, and for good reason, he's been catching alot of fish with them. I'm going to be trying a set of custom-made worms out myself. [cool]

Any structure should hold the bulk of fish in that body of water, the trick is using the bait that each species prefers.

For carp, dough balls work very well. I've tried the Berkely Power Bait "carp bait" but haven't had any luck. Not to say it doesn't work, it might have been a bad day for any bait. I've found that carp feed more in open water situations, but that doesn't mean that it's the same on that particular body of water. Water temp doesn't really mater with carp, you just have to find them.

Bream, sunfish, bluegill, etc.............. You need to get inside the structure, atleast until the water warms up a bit. Right now thier strike zone is almost non-existant with the water temp at 60 degrees. You basically have to smack them in the head to warrant a hit from one. Wax Worms are my favorite, however, crickets and night crawlers work well.

Crappie should be on the bite right now. A bobber rig fished deep around submerged structure using a live minnow should be killer. However, to use this tactic, you might find it more successful if you could utilize a boat. Small jigs work as well, I like neon green and pink.[cool]

There are probably Channel catfish in those waters as well. If you can find a deep hole, thread a chunk of chicken liver on a 4/0 hook and toss it on the bottom with some light tackle. When all else fails, catfish are always hungry, and are a very sporty alternative.
[signature]