Fishing Forum

Full Version: Rod pound class
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Many people don't understand what the pound class on a rod refers to. Though we can make our own depictions about it, as I tend to do often, it's actually the manufactures recomended pound line to use with that particular rod.

Say you have a conventional rod with roller eyes that's rated for 20-40lb line. Let's say you put 15 pound line on your reel. Two things can and will happen.

1. You're not capable of putting enough pressure to bend the rod down and allow it to do it's work. Remember, the rod wears down the fish, not the line, not the reels drag, the rod.

2. The roller eyes on the rod are specifically designed (not in all cases!) to cator to 20 lb line or larger. Anything smaller has the potential to get caught in the roller eye and break the line. This has actually happened to me before.

Think of it like this. An Ugly Stix can be bent from tip to butt. One may say that the rod, under normal fishing conditions, is unbreakable. So far, the only rod I haven't broken. LOL Even though an Ugly Stix may be rated for 20 lb line, it clearly can take the abuse well beyond the lines rating. However, to get optimal performance out of your gear, it is recommended that 20lb line be used. Eye size and strength, how limber or stiff the rod is, it's springyness, blank material construction, all those things are factors that determine what is best for each rod.

There is also no rule that says you can't take a good rod and make it better. I'm in the process right now of taking an Ugly Stix Intercoastal model to the shop and getting larger, more beefy Fuji eyes put on it tip to butt. In doing so, and having the eyes tripple wrapped, i'll be adding more strength to an already strong rod, adding more eyes on than before will give me better feel and control, as well as increase the amount of pressure I can put on the fish. With more eyes, i'll also find a more accurate cast and gain more distance as more eyes eliminates line flop and drag. [cool]
[signature]
Hreat info t4me!

Thank you for sharing buddy!
[signature]