Fishing Forum

Full Version: Beware of cheap barrell swivels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Imagine a world where all tackle is invincible and has no limit. It's a great thought right? I'd settle for a world where the tackle actually held up to the limits that the package suggests. We all know, however, that this is more times than not; NOT the case.

Here's a senario you won't believe. I bent two consecutive 120 lb barrell swivels to the point that the ends were no longer rounded; they had pulled flat under the constant pressure of a very large fish. What pound line you ask? Only 40 lb Calcutta Mono. Hard to believe that the pressure from 40 lb line destroyed a 120 lb barrell swivel? You better believe it, I lost two fish in one day, from this very problem. Solution? OVERKILL

On my super heavy rigs, I use 300 welded swivels by Spro or even the Offshore Angler brand is high quality and easy on the pocketbook.
[url "http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=15173&hvarDept=151&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=5&hvarSubCode=9&hvarTarget=browse"][Image: 482-567-00-t.jpg][/url]

For my trolling needs, I use the tiny, but indestructable Spro Super Heavy Swivels

[url "http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=59523&hvarDept=151&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=5&hvarSubCode=9&hvarTarget=browse"][Image: 83542-t.jpg][/url]

I settle for no less than ballbearing coast lock swivels to connect the main line to the leader, and nothing but a coast lock will do. No regular snap.

[Image: i117352sq01.jpg]

It's so important to have quality terminal tackle, especially when you target medium to big game, or when you are lightening up your tackle. The Spro heavy swivels are super tiney, yet, the strongest swivels on the market. A 300 pound Spro Super Heavy swivel is the same size as a 20 pound barrell swivel. TINY. They are so worth the money, especially if you're trolling live pogeys or something of that nature for King Mackerel or other species of Spooky game fish. Choosing the proper terminal tackle can give you almost an "unfair" advantage.[cool]
[signature]
ya, I get a few of them duds too, they dont last long in my box, they tend to rust out long before I ever get to use them.

there is nothing going to replace good solid brass and stainless steel spring steel snaps.
[signature]