Fishing Forum

Full Version: Quality, or numbers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Some fisher-persons enjoy constant action and thive while hooking large numbers of fish regardless of their size and somehow find the day a wasted trip if large numbers of fish arent caught. Others are "head hunters" and basically willing to spend a solid week jiggin' or trolling at a chance of a single strike from what they'd consider a real trophy.. Where do you fall into the picture, and why?

I personally feel its all good but for the greatest part of the time I'm a head hunter. Altho' my walls wouldnt prove it because I find great joy watching them drop back to the depths in hopes to tackle they again someday. This is not to say I have a problem with those that choose to hang a few on the wall,, or go for numbers. As I said, I think its all good because we each find our own pleasure in the sport of fishing.

And this brings up another question. Why is Hunting and fishing considered a sport when only one team knows the rules?? HA!
[signature]
Both, I want the cake and I want to eat it too. They say that tiger muskie’s are the fish of a 1000 casts. So are the trophies. You have to put your time in and earn it. Yes there are the few "special ones" that catch the trophies and get the limited hunts on their first or second try. But the rest of the average Joes need to work at it a little harder. So while we are working, let us enjoy the little ones in between the trophies.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey rabble-rouser, you tryin' to start sumpin'? Good topic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I once heard that fisherpersons go through several stages: 1. catch the first fish 2. catch a lot of fish 3. catch a big fish 4. catch a lot of big fish[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It's interesting to see how individual anglers evolve in their piscatorial preferences. Some get excited about every fish they catch, regardless of size or species. Others become super specialized and won't even fish for anything other than their favorite species...or don't even get their heart started for anything other than a biggun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All of us have favorite species and most of us love to hook rod-benders. But anyone who arbitrarily shuts out ANY fishing opportunity is missing out. Like you say, it's all good.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Me? I have had the good fortune to have fished all over the western hemisphere and have caught almost every species of fresh water fish available, and many of the salt water ones too. My favorite fish is still what is most readily available at the time. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I still get excited the night before a fishing trip and I still enjoy playing with perch and bluegills. If I had a choice between going marlin fishing or going for a mixed species day on Jordanelle, I would probably choose the latter. I ain't no purist and I got no pride.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like many other things about fishing, and life in general, I respect the opinions and preferences of others. If someone does not like what I do, that does not make them wrong...just different. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TD,

You wrote: [#0000ff][size 1]Some get excited about every fish they catch, regardless of size or species.[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[black][size 3]That would be me ![/size][/black]
[signature]
I would have to say both on Bear Lake because what I use to catch the larger fish also catches the small ones. As far as flaming gorge goes its definantly the larger fish I target for one thing the lures I use up there don't attract the smaller fish.[Wink]

Bodine
[signature]
[angelic]I have to chime in on this one! Anyone who has been in the vicinity while I have been fishing already knows the answer to this one. I'm really happiest when fishing where (my) expectations are high ... I love to catch a variety of species but certainly wouldn't pass up a chance if I expected to catch a big one. I've had my share of trips that I've been skunked, but that only makes the other days that much sweeter.
[signature]
It's all good and depends upon the body of water and species I am targeting. I have no problem fishing all day after a sturgeon and not get a bite, knowing that there is a chance to catch a new largest fish of my lifetime (last trip was a great example -- I only hooked one fish in three days of fishing and it was a new biggest). I do find that I enjoy catching the smaller species less and less, but I have also discovered that one can down size the tackle and increase the pleasure while reeling in the smaller swimmers.
[signature]
None of the above, at least for a first preference. I like a challenge. If I can catch fish "at will," every cast, or one right after another, it ges old in a hurry. Whether its 15 lb. silver salmon, small lake trout, schooling fish like stripers, saltwater fish like Jacks, or trout in a river rising with wreckless abandon. All of those ARE fun FOR A WHILE. We all like it when everything comes together and its like taking candy from a baby, but I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.

For me, its can I fool a fish into eating something made of metal, rubber, or feathers that knows better than to eat it, or at least should. Its the challenge of making a fish eat. In most cases, that does involve larger fish because they are usually harder to "fool" than smaller ones. However, I've been stumped by silly little 8-inch brook trout, 2-lb bass, and even small lakers. In certain situations, the approach and presentation are most of the challenge. If they make it a challenge, and make me pay attention and actually do something to catch 'em, then I enjoy the persuit, regardless of size. Its the head game, me against the fish. And usually, its "advantage--fish," so when I catch one, I've done something.

As for quality vs. numbers, in my perfect world, there would be no weights, measurements, or counts. I don't care how many, how much it weighs, or how long it is. I'd give anythign to not have a scale or tape measure on my boat at the Gorge. Unfortunately, the majority of my customers want to know how long and how many pounds each fish is. Me, I just want to fool it, take a look at it, and go on to the next one. "How big is that one?" everyone asks. Can't you just look at it? It's that big! Who cares what the number is.

Fishing should just be a fun activity, not a score-keeping sport. That's what baseball, bowling and golf are for. But, that's just my opinion, and admittedly I'm in the minority.
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]Fishing should just be a fun activity, not a score-keeping sport.[/size]
[/quote]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Amen to that! I'm not a numbers guy. How the heck can someone remember how many fish they caught after 5 or 6? It absolutely astounds me when folks know, to the number, how many fish they caught. It's way too much of non-value added information that I'd have to keep tract of. Who cares if you caught 68 fish or 15 fish. [/size][/black][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I don't need to validate myself to me or anyone else by recording numbers or size. I do what makes me happy and what I get enjoyment from. That's my bottom line.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[black]For me it's a species game. as for numbers, well, I don't keep a running total, but I can tell when I've caught a few or a bunch. later chuck[/black]
[signature]
well you know me dude! a fish is a fish is a fish! there's a 100 way's of catching them and i'll try 101 if i can! i still only have one on the wall tho.. well i did have tell the wife put in storage for good and that was my 28 1/2 lbs cat out of gunnison.. but soon there will be more on the wall starting with the 30 + laker i plane on pulling out of FG.. got a good line on some 18" to 20" crappie back in a pond in MO as well.. i would love to put one on the wall as well.. along with some more i'm sure [sly]..
[signature]
[reply]
Unfortunately, the majority of my customers want to know how long and how many pounds each fish is. ... "How big is that one?" everyone asks. Can't you just look at it? It's that big! Who cares what the number is.
[/reply]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Jim ... garuntee you that if I catch my first Gorge mack with you this year you can bet your backside that I will be asking "How big is it?".

I love to see pics on this Web site of fish and the bigger the better. My favorite pics are the ones of the fish I or my fishing partners catch! (No doubt I will catch flack for that comment.) I have told many peeople in the past and I will say it again ... "I am VERY vein when it comes to catching fish and showing them off in pictures." I love to do that. Because of that, I feel lucky to live in the digital and computer age.

I am definately not a good fisherman nor a good sportsman. I would rather watch TV than fish for perch or blue gill. But I am very respectful and understanding of those who love catching the little buggers.

I'll take juist one tiger musky in a week over a whole fish hatchery of trout in a day.
[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
Yep, most are like you. The main reason they fish is to get themselves in a picture with a fish, figure out how many pounds and ounces it weighs, and show/tell everyone. I don't get it, but at least you freely admit it! And who is anyone else to say what you do? I'll have a scale, tape, and digital camera on the boat!

The question I've always wanted to pose is: If you were the only human on the planet, and had everything you had now in terms of fishing equip., and had all the food you ever needed, would you still go fishing? Would you go if there was absolutely nobody else to show and tell? I would, and I'd do it a lot, but I doubt if a lot of others would even fish in that situation. The answer to that question is the answer to why many of us fish in the first place. Size, numbers, to show and tell, or just to go.
[signature]
For me fishing is therapy. It 's a chance to slow down and spend some time with nature. It's anger management and learning patience all rolled up in one. I like to eat the warm-water species, especially crappie, white bass, perch and walleye. The small ones eat as good or better than the large ones. I don't like trout, but I'll still fish for them or anything else that swims. I fish because I love to fish. There is something primeval about fishing that gives me great satisfaction. Plus, some of the best people I've ever met have been fellow fishermen.
[signature]
I have to agree completely with 2fishon. All of you who know me know I am a bass fisherman. Whether Largemouth, smallmouth, white bass, wiper, etc. BUT. I will fish for perch, bluegill, anything that swims. With the exception of fishing in a tournament, for me it is getting on the water and relaxing. It calms me down and makes me feel better about life just being on the water whether we catch a ton or only one.

Everyone who fishes dreams of the "trophy" fish. Everyone who goes to Jordanelle thinks about breaking bassrod's smallmouth C&R record. But if I am wiper fishing or striper fishing, it quickly becomes I don't think about size, it is about numbers because I am wanting freezer meat.

So my long drawn out answer to the question is that it depends on why and what I am fishing. But it is all good.
[signature]
WELL WITH ME ITS JUST BEING OUT. I DONT HAVE TO CATCH A DAMN THING TO HAVE FUN. DONT READ ME WRONG I LOVE CATCHING BIG FISH. BUT IF I DONT I DONT CRY ABOUT IT. ALOT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON IM WITH AS WELL. WHERE ARE THEY IN THEIR FISHING EVOLVMENT. ILL SPEND WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO HAVE FUN AND FISH EVEN IF NO FISH ARE CAUGHT ILL SPEND IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. ITS ALL ABOUT BEING IN THE MOMMENT.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]"How the heck can someone remember how many fish they caught after 5 or 6?"[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]It's really very easy I use a mechanical tally counter. After each fish all one has to do is click it once. At the end of the day one can look at the counter and see the number of fish caught. I find it fun to keep track of how many fish I catch, and also razzing and being razzed by my fellow angling buddies. I don;t believe that I need to validate myself to anyone, and if couning makes me vain so be it. I enjoy keeping track but I will defend to your death your right to not count.[Wink][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sorry if I hit a sore spot with you, Kent. I have just one question. If you catch 32 fish and some one else catches 31, do you wear two and count theirs too?[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I do know you are a very competitive person when fishing to the point if you are not catching fish like others, it bothers you. Whatever. If that what makes you tick, than by all means, git-r-done.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Kent, I know what you mean. Myself I keep a log and have done for the last 10 years. I enjoy looking in the photo album from way back and also looking at years past in my fish log book. I can see the weather patterns how many caught, what species, how big, and how it has changed over the years. This is my own opinion and is something I enjoy. Fishing is always great catching is a bonus.[Wink] I don't mean to come off as bragging or anything in my post I just state the facts. Sometimes I do good sometimes not and I'll post either. Its just neat to look back.

Bodine
[signature]
[black][size 3]Your question : [/size][/black]

[font "Comic Sans MS"]How the heck can someone remember how many fish they caught after 5 or 6?[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]
[black][size 3]My answer : [/size][/black]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I am psuedo-ambi-dextreous - I can use my other hand too - But, after that I'm done - my shoes stay on.[/size][/black][/font]
[size 3]Like Kent, I have one of those counter clickers in my tackle box - but, I never seem to remember to use it.[/size]
[signature]
Pages: 1 2 3