Fishing Forum

Full Version: porcupine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anybody been up there yet. Hows the fishin and ice condition?

thanks in advance
[signature]
Hey Crosby, I haven't heard any reports recently, but I was thinking of heading up there either Sunday or Monday. I think Monday it will actually warm up to about 20*...
[signature]
[red][size 3]I was thinking of wandering up there Monday with the youngster myself before that January cabin fever sets in real bad. [mad][/size][/red]
[signature]
I drove up there on Wednesday when I was doing some work up on the Little Bear River. It looked like the whole reservoir was frozen, but some of the ice out in the middle looked very new. The ice by the dam looked pretty bad like it had frozen, thawed, and then frozen again. It stood up to the large rock test though. It looked fishable to me on Wednesday, and that was before it got cold up here in Cache valley. Be careful where you drill because there are lots of rocks on the ice by the dam (one is mine!). Also - be careful where you go because the ice on the reservoir is definitely NOT uniform.

By the way - on Wednesday the road to the dam was slick, but had little snow on it. We got 4-5 inches with this last storm, so there shouldn't be too much snow on it. However, you may still need 4wd to get up because it is slick.
[signature]
Thanks for the update...too bad my boss doesn't give me Monday off!
[signature]
I hear it's fishing well. If you consider a 31" Brown an OK fish. That's what I hear anyway.

IFG
That must have been the fellas over in the ice shack hoopin' and hollarin' this morning : )

I figured it had to have been something big by the reaction!

Good job!
[signature]
Out4aFloat didn't catch anything that big but has a pretty good story to share tonight hopefully. That is a mighty big fish.
[signature]
[red][size 3]We made it up for a coupla hours this morning. Half dead truck battery in the freezing cold to start off so Lavaman beat us up there. Goregous sunny day, no wind, 6-8 inches of solid ice, no fish. It didn't look like there had been many folks up there as the snow from last week had hardly been disturbed on the lake. As soon as I drilled the first hole my son put his boot in it up to the laces to clear the ice so I knew from there we were cutting it short - go fishing/take your kids fishing [Wink]. We tried sweedish pimples with an ice fly dropper tipped with crawler and a Rapala jig out from the dam. No sonar so it was drill and miss. Jigged from top to bottom a few times, no takers. Did have our worm stolen from a hole right next to shore for some real excitement. Quit early with a pair of frozen wet socks.[/size][/red]
[signature]
[#000080]Thanks for those hand-warmers, Mike![/#000080]
[signature]