Fishing Forum

Full Version: Finally got out ice fishing!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[size 2]Well, I finally got time to go fishing today! My brother and I decided on Holmes Creek, since it's somewhat close and supposed to be decent fishing. We weren't disappointed.

I got about 500 Waxies and Mealies from work(one of the perks of working at Petsmart, I guess) and headed up about noon. We were on the water by about 1, and had the first big 12" crappie on the ice within two minutes. The fishing stayed pretty good for the rest of the day. We finished keeping 5 Crappie and a White Bass, and released twice as many Crappie and Blue Gill. It was a great day out on the ice. Especially for it being my first trip of the year.[/size]
[signature]
Nice job. I was at Holmes Cr. on MLK day and fished the N end of the reservoir. I went there in hopes of catching catfish and/or crappie, but only managed to catch a bunch of hatchery pets, a bluegill, a perch, and a white bass. I should have known better when I noticed that everyone else immediately went in a different location (creek area) than myself. Oh well, it's better than being skunked. From what I've figured out (and thats not much) and from talking with others, it appears that the trout are at the northern end and the crappie/catfish are in the creek arm.
[signature]
I haven't had the chance to fish there yet...I should, it's close.
[signature]
Good job on the fishies! When did the DWR plant white bass over there? Or did a bucket bio start the whities over there? Just curious.
[signature]
Bucket biologist
[signature]