Fishing Forum

Full Version: White bass limit in utah lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was looking through the '07 and '06 proc's and they dont say anything about a limit on white bass in UL. Does anyone know what the deal is there? How about the black bass? I've never been there before and I'm looking to expand on the number of species of fish I catch this year.

Thanks in advance for any info!

DJOle
[signature]
No limit on the whities, but please don't waste.

Bob
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]First of all...largemouth and smallmouth in Utah Lake. The limit is six fish...under 12". All larger bass must be released. No chance for keeping a "wall fish" or registering a record other than C&R without a violation. However, that is being reviewed, with a proposal to be able to keep one fish over the maximum size limit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]White bass are currently back on the upswing and have a good population with several year classes. While there is really no need for a limit on white bass, there is strong feeling that something needs to be done to curtail the market fishing. Some folks harvest literally truckloads of white bass when they spawn or when they school up late in the year and then sell them "discreetly" to markets or restaurants...or even to private parties who will buy them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have gone on record as proposing a 20 fish limit on white bass. Nobody NEEDS more than that to feed a family. But, after talking with DWR biologists, I have been "enlightened". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]First of all, since Utah Lake is the subject of a federally backed program to restore an endangered species (June Suckers), major changes in regulations will likely be subject to fed approval. Since white bass are major predators, and potentially eat sucker fry, they are not likely to be granted any kind of protection. In fact, everybody wants us to harvest more of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Second, the reality is that no matter how much harvest there is on white bass, it is virtually impossible to eradicate them by fishing. As we have seen, they can survive several years of combined poor spawning (drought) and heavy market harvesting and still rebound when water conditions improve.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This next year should be a banner fishing year, after a couple of high water years with good spawning and recruitment of all species. Utah Lake probably has more species and better fishing for all of them than almost any other lake in the country. However, it does take some on-the-water experience and a lot of experimentation to learn the various fishing spots and how to fish them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have quite a few Utah Lake fans on this board. In addition to having a lot of past posts to review in our archive boards, we will continue to get fresh reports for you to read. There are plenty of us who would be happy to "hook up" with you at some of the better spots and get you properly introduced to the old "brown pond".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks TD! No need to worry about overharvesting with me, just got the girlfriend and myself to feed[Wink]! So, has anyone ever caught a black bass down there?

A work buddy and I were thinking about heading down there next friday if we are not offered overtime (regular day off). Neither of us have ever caught a white bass, so thats what were targeting....

Thanks again for the info!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are lots of largemouths and a few smallmouths in Utah Lake. But, the "average" angler seldom catches either. Smaller ones are occasionally taken by guys throwing lures or fishing bait for other species, but the larger fish are tough unless you know where and how to fish them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are probably more largies taken from inside harbors and around rocky structure than out in the open lake. With all of the reeds and flooded brush we have had the last two years there has been a good spawn and there will soon be lots more largemouth. But, they also use all that new habitat to hide from anglers. If you know how and where to drag big jigs and plastics you can get some hawgs. Early in the year spinnerbaits around the shorelines inside the harbors are often productive too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]White bass are a lot easier. Watch for the crowds and fish nearby, without crowding. Fish almost anything near the bottom. When you find them you can catch them. Lots of fun and well worth keeping for the table.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yeah, I hear them whites are damn good table fare. If their anything like wipers then I'm sure I'll love em! Sounds like I might have to drag the boat down there in the spring, that is before my brammy new fishing buddy (having a baby boy) comes towards the end of May.[cool]
[signature]