Fishing Forum

Full Version: Pet load for a .270?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,
I bought a Winchester Featherweight .270 in 1985 and it has never ever really patterned that well. I shot a lot of game with it and all, but never ever really had a lot of confidence in it. At the range, the best I could ever do was get 3 shots into about an 8 inch circle at 100 yards. Good enough for most big game, but like I said, I just never really had a lot of confidence in it.
So my solution came in 1998 when I purchased another (bigger) rifle, a .338 (thought I needed one for Elk) which I ended up liking so much that I used in most of the time for not only elk, but deer and even antelope too!
During that time however, I got into reloading and worked up a pretty accurate load for the .270. The Barnes XLC 130 grain bullets. I could put 3 shots into about a 2 inch circle very regularly. I used it fairly recently, and ran out of my favorite reloads so off to the reloading store to get some more...and guess what? DISCONTINUED. It never fails. Show me something I like, and then take it away.
So I decided that before I worked up another load, I would do whatever I could to the rifle to accurize it. I took it to my favorite gunsmith (NightOwls) and he floated the barrel, glass bedded and pillared the action, took the trigger down a few lbs. and put on a nice recoil pad.
I just got it back and am wondering if any of you have any favorite .270 loads that you feel are fairly accurate and work well on big game?
I know enough not to load something up just because somebody types it up and sends it to me, so I'm not asking for recipes, unless I can confirm them via my loading manuals, but I'd just like a few opinions on some accurate .270 bullets/loads and what you all have had any experience with for reloading purposes.
Kind of want to stay 110 to 130 grains or so. Anything bigger than that I'll use something else in my arsenal!

Thanks!
Randy
[signature]
[Wink] Randy,

Try the hornaday 130 grain light mag off the shelf factory. I am a big fan of them. Sounds like your hooked on the 338 like me. I use to have a 270 win mod 70 and I shot them in that before I loaded and they were seet.
[signature]
My old Mod70 F'weight likes Hornady. Prefers the charge at the upper end (ok-slightly over[blush]) of the recommened load using 4831.
I also worked up a load for the 165? Hornady and again, the old girl liked the heavier charges.
[signature]