Fishing Forum

Full Version: Broken Rod, Broken Spirit :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My buddy Lonnie accidentally broke my brand-new, custom, TubeDude Special icerod last night! Man, am I pissed about that!!!! I neither landed nor even got a bite on it before it was snapped! In our haste to get off the miserable ice Saturday night at the Berry, he threw something on top of it and pressed down to stabilize the gear on the sled. I saw it snap like a twig (in slow motion) in that bitter cold. [crazy]

TD put several hours of work into this creation for me and it was just a really pretty little rod. It was a bit over 3 ft. long, but was snapped about 6-7 inches from the tip. It was built on a tubular glass blank. The rod cost me less than $20 total, but the fact that TD put his time, effort, and creativity into this rod for me, really has me upset that it was broken so soon in it's young life.

Is there any good way to fix a broken rod? Can the two sections be spliced back together without making it clunky and ugly? Is there any way at all to put Humpty Dumpty back together again??!!!!! [pirate]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bummer. Since the last (top) part of that short rod is where most of the flex occurs, putting a splice there would totally ruin the action. You can do an "interior splice" repair, but that far up it would make a flat spot in the normal bend.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news is that it is easy to build a new rod, with the existing handle. All we need to do is find a tip section that someone has salvaged from a broken rod and splice it to the healthy butt section of what you have left. Piece of cake. And, I just happen to have some silver thread left to rewrap it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Suggestion, be more careful in A. Choosing fishing buddies or B. Where you set your rod.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In all the years I have been fishing, I have never broken a rod. But...I have lost several rods to clumsy fishing buddies. They can be hazardous to your tackle.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]Suggestion, be more careful in A. Choosing fishing buddies or B. Where you set your rod.[/#0000ff][/b]
[/reply]

Great advise I think next year im gonna rivet some rod holders to my sled not only will they work to transport the rods but to as a stationary rod holder for fishing[Smile]
[signature]
in a few day ill have atotal of 4 custom rods that where built just for me. im not taking any chances with them they will be transported in an old shotgun case for safety
[signature]
Yea wasatch called me and said that he had one of the worst trips ever due to the rod getting broke.
[signature]
Tuber,

Didn't you break two rods at Pelican?.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nope. All three rods survived, but all three reels got trashed when I listened to you telling me I could make it across that weak spot on the ice. Add in the waterlogged digital camera and that swim cost me about $600.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ouch I hope you at least caught a few fish.
[signature]
Hey TD,

I'll give ya a buzz later in the week and maybe we can make a time to work on this. I have another tip section that might just work. However, given the current ice conditions, I see no need to make this a priority. I think we'd be better off catching a few fish instead!!!

Thanks for all your help and advice,

Kevin
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Don't wanna hurt your feelings Kevin, but you are not my type. (You don't give me a buzz)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Whenever you score a rod tip and have a few minutes, we can take the "patient" to the "rodatorium" to do a diagnosis. Maybe we can perform a successful graft. There are lots of potential options.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now quit yer whinin' and "ANGLER UP".[/#0000ff]
[signature]