Fishing Forum

Full Version: hardest fighters?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
in light of the thread on the freshwater board, and some of it on this board, i thought id ask a couple of questions.

the wiper seems to have the most votes for freshwater fish. will we be able to put boats on willard this year? what baits are best for trolling wipers? do i need to have side planers? any info would be appreciated... if there is a fish that can out-fight a kokanee id like to give it a try!

also, tiger trout seem to be getting a lot of votes... ive never been overly impressed with them. ive only caught them up to 18 inches, but they felt just like any other trout to me.

anyways, its an interesting topic!
[signature]
Dude, you need to get out more[Tongue] if you think a kokanee can even come close to fighting better than a wiper[cool], granted you have yet to catch one[unsure]. You will find out for yourself if you get up to Willard and give it a try this year. I've read about people launching 17ft boats already this year, most of us troll lures that look like shad with side planners. Go to the Willard bay archives and check out last years reports for more info. WH2
[signature]
Kidder: I hate to break this to you, but just about any fish on the planet will "out-fight" a Kokanee. [Wink] Maybe not Gorge lake trout, largemouths, or walleye of equal size, but most freshwater fish, and nearly any saltwater fish of the same size, not to mention that kokanee only reach 5 or 6 pounds, tops. And yes, those little wipers will tug.

Also keep in mind that the location of where you catch a particular species of fish, and their origin (stockers vs. wild) plays a role. I've caught 5lb. rainbows in Alaska that will out pull and out-jump any other 5lb. trout I've caught anywhere else. I've also had 5lb. lake trout in Canada make those lazy Gorge lakers seem like dead fish. A fish's diet and environment determine how hard they resist your hook and line.
[signature]
need to get out more? perhaps! remember though that i havent caught a wiper yet! with that said, kokanee out fight all the trout, bass, walleye, panfish, or anything else ive caught in utah (in a similar weight class) but, i definately would like to try catching wipers... thats why i asked this question. i was impressed with the number of votes the wiper was getting!

in response to tarponjim... good points you make jim! it would be interesting to have your experience with fighting fish from all over! thanks for chiming in on my question!
[signature]
Have you ever been Shark fishing?? Some sharks are the same way. Some are lazy and some had a good breakfast just before getting on your line.[cool]
[signature]
How about a good sized steelhead on the Salmon river
[signature]
All fish have their own way of fighting from the Blue gill to the whale it all depends on what you like and what you are fishing for, They all can be fun.....
[signature]