Fishing Forum

Full Version: Chicken Heads and Gorge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Saturday I had the chance to take my older brother who lives in Atlanta GA after some Macs on the Gorge. He had never caught a nice Mac while growing up around the Gorge, so the pressure was on for me to produce. The day started off alot colder than I was expecting, 19 degrees when we launched. The first group of fish we found produced my brothers first hit, but no matter how many times I told him I don't think he realized how soft such a big fish would hit and he missed the fish. So we moved on and found another group of fish and dropped in on them. I was pretty confident that we was going to get my brother hooked up because he now knew what to expect. We had just barely had are lures where we wanted them when I looked at the finder and told my brother to be ready and wham a hit and he actually hooked a Mac!! One thing I forgot to tell him since he is a rookie is how to operate the drag on my baitcasting reel. So here he is with a nice mac on the end of the line and he dont know what to do so I am trying to reach over and help him when wham I had one of the hardest hits I have ever had. But not being ready I missed and missed bad. My brother is still struggling with this fish, his pole is half way in the water to prevent the line from breaking and I cant reach him to help. So I decided to hurry and reel in to help him. On the way up not paying attention, three more hits and all missed. Finally I get up and over to my brother to help and as soon as I reached him the Fish OFF. So I told him to reel up and check his lure and I would go back down. At this time there were 15 to 20 nice Macs on the graph. So I went back down and was in the middle of them when my brother asked me to look at his lure. While looking at his lure wham another hit and I obviously missed. I fixed his lure for him and he went back down and over the next 20 minutes he had to have over 10 hits, but by know he was so exited with everything it was like watching a chicken with its head cut off. I was laughing so hard and not paying attention I actually missed one more hit myself. All in all it was 30 minutes of the most intense, humorous, and exiting fishing I have ever had, too bad no fish were caught. Unfortunately we couldn't stay much longer and we had to go home without any fish. But even without catching some fish we have a story that will probably be told many times at family gathering.
[signature]
Excellent story, sounds like you know how to find the fish. If that was my boat there would have been some cussing going on.
[signature]
Man that sounds like one of those stories that you wish you had a Video of. Sounds like you had a great time anyways, good story.

AFDan52
[signature]
That's a great story! Thanks!
[signature]
I bet that was a nice time! Have you been getting into any burbot or kokes up there?
[signature]
Great story!

I would love the opportunity to be put right on top of some nice macs like that. You must have worked long and hard to get yourself on fish consistantly up there. [cool]

Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
HOW MUTCH FUN CAN A COUPLE BROTHERS HAVE GETTING SKUNKED. A WHOLE BUNCH... LOVED IT.
[signature]