Fishing Forum

Full Version: Does Utah Lake have crawdads?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does Utah Lake have crawdads?
[signature]
Yep, they're hard to see in the murky water but they're there.
[signature]
Yep, they're in there and if you catch any... they're a killer bait for catfish. Dead... of course. [cool] I'd check the rocky areas around the harbors or any shallow areas with big flat rocks laying on the bottom.
[signature]
Actually, "The use of live crayfish for bait is legal only on the water where the crayfish is captured. You may not transport live crayfish away from the water where you captured them." So they don't have to be dead, as long as you catch 'em the same place you fish 'em.

Bob
[signature]
Yes I was going to mention that, thats incredible. I dont know if a live crawdad would really be better for cats or a dead one.
[signature]
I've just skinned out the tail and used that.... I'm not sure if the cats would slurp up a live dad or not.... I guess if you rigged one under a bobber, they might come take a munch... course, you might get a walleye or something too.[cool]
[signature]
Cats are big time predators. I think a live crawdad would get smacked pretty good.
[signature]
Does anybody have any good methods for rigging a live one? I've caught 'em there before but I haven't found a good way to rig it.

Bob
[signature]
I too have tried them before, but keeping them hooked on it a challenge. To keep them alive while fishing them, I would say thru the tail would be the best.... ? [Smile]
[signature]
That would be fun to try and use. I found this about hooking them.

[inline rostrumhooking.gif]
[signature]
When I use them I use a salmon egg hook and light line so the can try to get away. A fish ususally gulps them up pretty quick. I hook them through the nose as well.
[signature]
Another method to rig up a crawdaddy is to rubber band them to the hook. I'd probably use those orthodontic bands. If the craw is a big one, you might also think about ripping off its claws too.
[signature]