Fishing Forum

Full Version: Me vs. Snake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So we finally went fishing yesterday (first time in a few years)... took the five oldest children along. We went to a local fishing lake thats well stocked with sunnies and crappy as well as the occassional bass. Each had their own rod/reel. I was kept busy casting lines and rebaiting hooks plus the occassional "dad, I'm caught on a lily pad" type rescues. We had to cast over the pads that lined the water near the shore. No biggie... added to the excitement.

Life was good. Most of the children caught something, all was thrown back. We were having a good time. Then one of the children tells me there is a snake in the lily pads. Sure enough, wasn't there this 3' long water snake stalking the pads, looking for a meal. It would stick its head out of the water, look around, then submerge again and come up at another pad. Was quite entertaining to watch.

Suddenly, my daughter's bobber went under. She managed to set the hook, but was kinda nervous reeling it in, so I took over. Brought the fish into towards the shore and up on top of the pads.
Wouldn't you know it - the snake launches itself almost 6' over the pads and snags my fish!! So me and the snake are tugging away at my fish and I was winning!! This went on for 5-minutes. And then my line snapped and the snake won.

By now we attracted some attention to the bystanders. We all watched the snake struggle to get the fish to the shore (through the lily pads) and drag its meal into the brush for its meal.
Never saw anything like it. Glad we went. Even though I helped feed a snake. Various crunching noises could be heard in the brush... the fish bones breaking maybe? How does a snake manage to eat a sunny?

Thought I'd share.

steve
[signature]
WOW! ... That would've been hilarious!

I've never heard of a snake eating a sunfish... how big was the snake? suppose he thought it was a frog?

[black] "expect the unexpected" comes to mind here [laugh][/black]
[signature]
What a great story! LOL, i've had bass snag a bream on the way in, but never a snake. That would have been something really cool to see. It's a shame you didn't have a camcorder handy. [Smile]
[signature]
That must have been a load of fun. A little tug of war and zing pow. [cool]
[signature]
yea just be lucky it wanted you fish and not you.. for example i was fishin onna beaver dam.. loaded with water moccasins(i think that show u spell it) and i have been chased.. literally out fo the swamp.. lol!!! and thats good fishin there too but nooooo... the snakes r the fish's body guards i guess
[signature]
[crazy]
[signature]
I was fishing for gills and shellcrackers late last summer and had a few nice ones on my stringer. I saw something out the corner of my eye and there was a good 5 foot banded watersnake trying to eat one of the gills. I shook the snake off and pulled the fish off the stringer and the snake gladly took the fish headfirst and swallowed it down no problem. You could see the fish's outline in the snake but I was amazed how quik it took the fish down. I love to see things like that, its not just about the fishing its about seeing things in nature that nonfisherman dont get the chance to experiance. Fun stuff [cool]
[signature]
[reply]
[black][size 1]I was fishing for gills and shellcrackers late last summer and had a few nice ones on my stringer. I saw something out the corner of my eye and there was a good 5 foot banded watersnake trying to eat one of the gills. I shook the snake off and pulled the fish off the stringer and the snake gladly took the fish headfirst and swallowed it down no problem. You could see the fish's outline in the snake but I was amazed how quik it took the fish down. [black][size 3]I love to see things like that,[/size][/black][/size][/black][size 3][black] [/black][black][black]its not just[/black] about the fishing its about seeing things in nature that nonfisherman dont get the chance to experiance. Fun stuff [cool][/black][/size] [/reply]
I couldn't agree more, Matt! [Wink]
[signature]