Fishing Forum

Full Version: Furled Leader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks to Flygoddess I got to try out some furled leader on Thursday. Stuff works very well but it'll take more time to figure when best to use it. I caught about 30 browns, most 15- 17 inches but maybe a half dozen went bigger. I missed one big fish as it got past me in very fast water as my net just wasn't big enough and he then popped off the fly. His twin I did manage to land on the third try. I think the overcast day had more to do with the good fishing than the leader. However Flygoddess I hope you get me that big net with the short handle soon just in case the fishing remains this good using furled leader. I'd post the picture of the brown I landed that is bigger than my net but I can't figure out how to get it down to 300 kb.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Glad furled leaders worked for you.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have recently found a good free software program for resizing photos. There are many other good features about this program, but sizing photos is great.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Here's the site for downloading this free goodie.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[url "http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm"]http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm[/url]
[signature]
So the whole furled leader topic got me interested enough to buy and try one. I picked up a couple of furled leaders from Blue Sky Company and had my first experience with them Saturday on Huntington Creek.

All I can say is what a difference. The leader really felt like an extension of my line rather than something attached to it. The leader made my poor casts much more forgiving, meaning normally I have a couple cast where my fly slaps the water, however with the furled leader I had none of that. It provided a soft presentation while still pushing the fly where it needed to be.

I also go hung up a couple times but experienced zero memory issues or windknots. Oh, and did I mention how much I hate windknots!!

All in all I will be using a furled leader from here on out. Thanks Flygoddess for the suggestion and testimonials; you have helped make flyfishing even more enjoyable than it already was. Next up, learning how to make my own.

Schlitz-
[signature]
Jason,
Glad you also gave the furled leader a try after Flygoddess recommended it. So how was the fishing at Huntington?
In another month or two the other end of that creek I took you to will be filling up with lunkers. If you want to give it a try with me let me know. I'm going to retry to attach the picture from my first time out using furled leaders
[signature]
Very Nice RD. We have got to get down to Huntington....man I hear HORROR stories from there LOL.
I gotta get me a tiger before the season is over, but for me it is year round.
Picture worked great! Can't to see a monster like that in your new net (don't forget the logo, he puts those pictures on his site).
By the way, Mojo is still crying about that net, he, he, he.
[signature]
I also have 2 of my fishing buddies trying the furled on the MP Thursday.

Riverdog

Thanks for the invite; I am all for that. I want ot give that spot another try. PM me with a date you are thinking of going.

Schlitz-
[signature]
Schlitz, the picture is a 20 inch brown but I'll pm you when the really big boys stack up in the fall. You might want to contact flygoddess next about getting a really sweet net that'll be able to handle those fish. Sorry Mojo that I wasn't generous enough to let you have the net but I plan on posted some nice pictures of it filled in the future.
[signature]
never used one but sounds cool
were do they sale them at.
[signature]
Drop me a pm with an address and I will send you a couple.
[signature]
I hope you know flygoddess I got a girlfriend lol jking....[Tongue]
[signature]
Maybe she would like to try them ......LOL
[signature]
[Wink] Ill try and talk her into it again last time I got [pirate] black eye lol
[signature]
Hey thanks flygoddess I just got them in the mail yesterday.
Ill have to try them out...
[signature]