Fishing Forum

Full Version: Waypoints lost!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
GPS unit tells me I am 6/10 of a mile away from my waypoint, when I am standing on top of it! Obviously not good, so I call Magellan to get help. I am told that before I give up on my unit I should first try to reset it. I tell her that I do not want to lose my saved waypoints and I am told that I should first remove the memory card so that when I reset the unit I won't lose my saved waypoints. I did as I was instructed, to only find out that my unit still had the same problem as before, but now I have a new problem my waypoints are also lost! Call to Magellan, and I got the explanation that on my unit apparently my waypoints are saved in internal memory and not on the memory card, so when I reset the unit all of my valuable waypoints were lost! Fortunately, I manually removed my waypoints a couple years ago (got the valuable ones for Bear Lake and a few for Strawberry) but unfortunately, I lost some great ones for Flaming Gorge, Huntington Reservoir, Fish Lake, Strawberry and a few other places. So anyone reading this, please feel free to send me some of your great waypoints (just kidding of course)[Wink]. On a positive note, I am getting a discount on a refurbished color GPS unit from Magellan.
[signature]
Man that really sucks. I have all my waypoints saved in my Terrain Navigator software, so if I have a problem, I can just transfer them from my computer back to my GPS. I feel your pain though. You'll have to let us know how you like your new GPS.
[signature]
Probably a change in plans. Read some reviews on the Magellan Explorist 600 and I was not impressed. I guess I will be looking at another brand of GPS to purchase.
[signature]
Bummer Kent, hope you find what you need for a good price. There are several guys that have the same unit, you should ask Ira, Dan, Rich, Jason and a few others about the H20 units they have, I'm not sure of the brand name. They are very impressive units.
[signature]
Decided to go with the Lowrance iFinder H20 Plus. I would have liked to have gone with color, but I'm sure that the resolution on the new Lowrance will be a major improvement over my old Magellan.
[signature]
Bummer that you lost your waypoints. I was even going to see if you were willing to trade some waypoints for a Jet Sled! (just kidding). Anyway, if your new unit has a PC interface and can talk to a mapping software, that is also one way of making a backup of your waypoints. I have a Garmin Etrex and I found it very useful (and safe) to create my waypoints on the PC and download it to my Garmin. Just a thought!
[font "Times New Roman"][#808000][size 3]That sucks man, I feal your pain though. I lost my Garmin Rhino GPS last hunting season somehow. At the time I didn't think nothing of it becasue I knew I had my points backed up on my computer. But then my hard drive died and wiped out all of my points. I can live with loosing all my fishings points but all of the elk wallows I have found through the years disgusts me.LOL [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#808000][size 3]I ended up with a Brunton Atlas MNS. It is made by Lowrance and is very similar to the iFinder. I love it and often wonder how I lived without it. I think you will like the iFinder. One thing I do know is right down all of my waypoints in a notebook just incase.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#808000][size 3]Good luck,[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Very unfortunate but just think how much fun you will have making new ones.
[signature]
Pat, please don't let my wife know that it wasn't avoidable that I lost those waypoints and as a result I am obligated to find and mark them again, no matter how many fishing trips that it takes. Let this be out little secret.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You should of got the color! All the stuff that Lowrance sells in their "plus" package is pretty expensive for what you get. A carder at Walmart is $6, a 512mg SD card is less than $10 and you can buy ExpertGPS for half the cost of Mapcreate. Color rocks. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Lowrance has some free enhanced maps on their website you can download. Not many but a few including the Gorge. The background map on the H2O is pretty minimal.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Too bad about the waypoints. I'd be pretty mad if I lost mine and they weren't backed up.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Right now, because of other opportunities that I am dealing with, I couldn't justify color.
[signature]
Kent,
I have used GPS units since they first came out. I have had nothing but bad luck with Magellans. I've used their Trailblazer, Trailblazer XL, and Explorist 210, and all were terrible. I also used the Eagle and Lowrance hand held units and did not like either of them. I went to Garmin 12XL (no longer made) and love it. Its an older unit, but excellent on picking up satellites, etc. The most popular Garmin (Rino, Legend, Etrex, Vista, etc.) are good to, but right now I'm using the Garmin GPS76. It is very similar to the 12XL but a lot nicer due to the mapping feature. I'm color blind so the GPS76Cx is the color version, but that doesn't impress me as much. In fact I HATE color fish finders since I can't see the color that well. If you want a rugged, dependable GPS the Garmin series is IT! In addition they float if you might drop it overboard or though your ice hole and they are waterproof! (I am in no way associated with the Garmin Co.) LOL!
[signature]
Scott I appreciate and value your advice and recommendations. As noted above, my Lowrance has already been ordered and is on its way. On another thread Lowrance seemed to be the most recommended units and I hope that I like my new one. BTW -- if anyone reading this thread wants a used Magellan Gold I have one that I will sell REALLY CHEAP (Topo software included). Send me an offer by PM.
[signature]
Kent there is life after losing your way ..... points . I had a break in at my house and they took my GPS and air compressor among other things . I'm fresh out of waypoints now or I would share . I just bought a new Lowrance H2O Ifinder in color last week to find some new ones with . Sweet unit if I could get my laptop to download my cardreader driver I would have enhanced maps too .
[signature]
Kent, get a mapping gps. If you have a lowrance you can buy the navionics fishing hot spots card. It has a great map of strawberry and the gorge as well as the other lakes in utah. You dont need many waypoints because you can see the bottom contour of the lake. You can do the same thing for the garmin. Ive seen some great deals on the garmin gpsmap76 handheld. Let us know what you end up doing. You should now have a good excuse to do some more fishing.
[signature]