Fishing Forum

Full Version: Mantua Tuesday 8/21 report (PICS ADDED)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well we fished Mantua about three weeks ago and knocked the bluegill and nailed a nice LMB. So this was a return trip. No bass fishing this time since I was with my daughter (age 11) and wife and they only wanted to catch bluegill anyway. Well we got on the lake about 7:30am and had a fish in the boat by about 7:40. We ended up catching well over 125 bluegill. We kept 53 for eating that were all 8" and longer. Well we might have had a few 7 3/4" , but all were nice fish. The largest gill was 9.5". We also kept two perch (the only ones we caught) that were about 9" long. We fished until 10:45 and called it quits when the breeze came up. Before that time it was absolute glass out there. I'll post pics as soon as I download them from my camera.

A nice calm morning:
[inline DSCF1712.JPG]

Erin with a small bluegill:
[inline DSCF1713.JPG]

Cooler of "keepers" 53 gills and 2 perch:
[inline DSCF1718.JPG]

[signature]
Nice post!
[signature]
Ya know, this is the second time I have been there at the same time as you and didn't get to meet you!I have to pay more attention so I can recognize more bft'ers!! We were there at 6:30 and were off the lake at 9:00.We had exactly the same results as you did.My kids wanted to get in one more trip before they had to go back to school.That railroad tie stairway from the trailer parking area up to the boat dock they built sure is nice.
[signature]
I have a BFT sticker on both sides of my boat. Were you in a fiberglass boat anchored out in the middle? We came out and drove past you several hundred yards and proceeded to fish. I saw the one boat with a couple of kids in it. However there were a few boats closer to Maple Cr. too. Yeah, the stairway is sure a nice feature. Glad you got into the fish too.
[signature]
That sounds like alot of fun. I am thinking of going up to Mantua this weekend to try my new fishing boat boat. My five year old daughter and wife would love to catch a bunch of fish. I have never fished for panfish before, any tips on what to use and how to find them?

Mark
[signature]
I was in a 13' Gregor aluminum with my 2 kids.BFT stickers on the engine cover and hull out in the middle of the lake.A couple of weeks ago, I think I went by you while you were parked by the bathrooms while on my way up to the ramp.
[signature]
Great report,Mantua is great ,love that place.
[signature]
[size 1]Great report,Mantua is great ,love that place.[/size]
[signature]
Yes Mantua can be very fun. Basstracker and I are headed up there in the AM. Report to follow.
[signature]
Nice report. I went there three times, only from shore, not much luck for gill. I am wondering if being on a boat is the only way to catch gill or bigger fish there. I am frustrated I can only catch tiny fish from shore.
[signature]
Having a boat makes all the difference. I was fishing the pockets of deep (9-13') water without the weeds in them. The bigger fish were definitely in these pockets down deep and the only way to get to them is boat, tube, helicopter, etc.
[signature]