Fishing Forum

Full Version: general bull elk season rifle hunt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've hunted the last few years spike bull only in the fishlake area. This year I would like to hunt for a bull and am looking for any suggestions or recommendations on where to go in the uintas or roosevelt area. Or in any area for that matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I just got back from the North Slope. We bowhunted 12 days up there and I have still not seen a bull. Only saw a few cows, and very, very little sign. I would go somewhere else to look for elk. Maybe stick to your spike area this year and do some scouting next year for a better anybull spot.

In my oppinion, the only way a guy is going to be able to shoot a big bull is to have the luck of drawing a LE tag, or have a big wallet to buy a CWMU tag. The rest of us will have to be happy shooting cows and spikes. With the current system, almost everyone who buys a any bull tag go's to the Uinta's, and it is way over hunted!
[signature]
I agree with that 100%. There are however a few other options but they will require a horse and alot of time. If you can get back into the border of Deseret land and livestock, you can get into some bulls. It is steep nasty country and not worth shooting anything other than a six point. There are a few areas up on Monte too but once again there is the "pressure" issue. Way too many hunters out there for the small elk areas that we have. Start putting in for a LE now and you might draw in 6 or 7 years.
[mad][mad]Kinda sucks

Good luck,
Hookjaw
[signature]
What Hookjaw says is true. I've hunted DL&L and can say with 100% surety that those big bulls can and do jump the fence. I can also say with 100% surety that they monitor the boundaries often and carefully, with Hikers, ATV riders and Helicopters. Don't jump over the fence AT ALL! There is a lot of pressure however. Along one stretch of the boundary you could see orange every hundred feet or so!

I've never hunted for a BULL at DL&L, only for cows. It is worth drawing out for a cow just to SEE the bulls there!

Randy
[signature]
+1
I drew a cow tag for Deseret a couple of years ago and it was an amazing experience. For a while I thought I was Lewis and Clark going through Yellowstone for the first time. The first group of elk we saw was about 30 head and I was out and ready for a shot but the guide told me to get back in the truck. He said that they were all bulls, I laughed and looked through my scope and about shizzed my pants. All bulls!!!! This went on for three hours! We couldn't find any cows at all. We saw over a hundread bulls before we even saw one cow. Finally I spotted a couple of cows and took my shot. Once I shot the whole earth began to rumble as at least 500 elk got up put of their beds and ran for their lives. It was awesome!
the crappy part is that you have to have a guide and you can't take anyone with you. But it was still worth it, and I would reccomend any guys looking for some easy elk meat and an awesome experience to put in for the hunt.
[signature]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. On one of our hunting trips down south, we were parked up on a ridge when the sun popped up over the mountain and in meadow below us two bulls when trotting by. Awesome sight. It made for some great pictures.
[signature]
[size 1]"Start putting in for a LE now and you might draw in 6 or 7 years.
[mad][mad]Kinda sucks"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I wish this was true I have 13 points and still waiting for my lucky day!! M.H.[/size]
[signature]