Fishing Forum

Full Version: Upgrade Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok I got lucky and got a TFO TICR fly rod for my fist fly fishing rod (ebay) but I now want to upgrade and would like some opinions on what would be a better fly rod. My casting style is pretty fast I usually fish streamers and nymphs, My budget is around 250-300 plus xmas isent to far off either but If you were me what would you buy ???
[signature]
[black][size 3]I can only offer my opinion on your desire to upgrade.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I think that buying a fly rod is like buying a car, not any particular car/rod is ideal for everyone.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I suggest that you try as many rods as you can. We all cast with a different style and timing, and use them for different purposes.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Considering that a 9 foot 5 wt. is the average rod, go from there. The size of the water you normally fish will be a component to consider.[/size]
[size 3]You like to fish streamers and nymphs, and normally I think a little stiffer rod would be best. [/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Probably the most difficult rod/angler combination to determine is one used for the delicate presentation of the dry fly. As far as brand goes, there are so many good rods on the market now, that it's hard to go wrong. I have heard that Echo is producing a good rod within your price range. This is a fairly new company, but with good design and production methods. They have a website and their most popular rod comes with two tips, one for distance, and one for presentation.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]There are several $700.00 rods out there, but in my opinion, it isn't necessary to pay that kind of money for a good rod.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]What is wrong with your TFO, or what don't you like about it and why?[/size]
[signature]
This is just one man's opinion so take it for what it is. Fly rods are similar to golf clubs, you use the cheap stuff or hand me downs to get hooked but then it is time to invest in some good gear. Buy from a repcted manufacurer scott, sage, orvis, winston, ect..... I love my orvis because of the warranty I have broken 4 rods in 8 years and had them replaced with no questions asked. I started with 2 silver series (250 combo) and now because they don't make them anymore they sent me the TLS (500) rod. I bought to large arbor battenkill reals and now have 1500 worth of fly rod gear I paid about 650 for. Just go cast some stuff and see what feels good to you and go with it!
[signature]
Main reason Im posting here is I dont have allot access to cast different flyrods and allot of stores dont let you cast before you buy so trying to get a feel for what you guys like and had good experiences with
My TFO I got practically free its a 9' 5wt its been a really great rod but being my first rod its been pretty beat up. Ive repaired rod tip a couple of times one of the guides is broken. and the handle is kind loose. I can send it in to TFO to have it repaired under warranty but they require a 30.00 shipping charge and all be out a rod for about 2 to 3 weeks. I figure I can put the 30 toward new rod and keep the TFO for a good back up.

Im thinking about going shorter 7'6 or 8' foot I like fishing smaller streams. Current Creek, Strawerberry, & the Weber. I know some parts of those streams are pretty wide but I usually look for deep holes and allot of the times I right up against the brush. I looked at the echo rods at cabelas they look & feel really nice but I wish there a was store you could cast in [unsure] Would love a sage zero axis but 655.00 bucks .. I like eating food and putting gas in my car so not in the budget [Wink] What rods and reels are you guys & gals using ?
[signature]
[black][size 3]I haven't had access to cast a lot of rods that are available, but it sounds like the streams that you fish would allow you to fish about anything you chose. Those streams are not relatively large.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Over the years, I have collected a variety of rods, my most recent are two custom 10 foot 6 wt. Loomis GLX. I got them mostly for fishing stillwater from a kick boat and have been very happy with them.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I have those rods fitted out with STL reels. I chose those because they use cheap plastic spools, and I can fish with a wide variety of lines without a major spool investment.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I also have a Loomis 9 ft, 5 wt. with a cheap Okuma reel that has a nice action for stream fishing dry flies and nymphs.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]My other rods are a variety of Fenwick (glass and graphite) and a couple home made from Fenwick glass blanks. Those are fitted with old Pflueger reels.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Sage is a very popular rod, but I hear about so many of them breaking under normal use, that I don't even consider them. I think that they have made the blank walls so thin to reduce weight, the they have taken away the durability of the rod.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]If I were going to buy a rod at the present, I would head to the Echo rack. I think that dollar for dollar they are better than most on the market. Cabelas and Jason Haslam at Utah fly drifters carry the Echo, and you should be able to try casting one of them at either place.[/size]

[size 3][/size]

[size 3][/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I have been using a Sage FLi for about a year and a half now and it is one great stick for about $300. I have the 9' 5wt and it throws streamers and little dry flies really well. If you like fast, and cheap.... I'M TALKING FLY RODS HERE>.. get your mind out of the gutter... The FLi is really hard to beat.

If you have a budget, look at a Scott S4.... mmmmm sexy.
[signature]
I agree with getting a 7 and a half or 8 ft rod and I'd suggest 3 or 4 wt. I think that's all you need on most of our rivers and streams. I got an Orvis T3 7ft 6in 3 wt rod 2 years ago and absolutely love it. Not sure they still make this model. Retailed for $495 I think but got it on sale for about $125 less. Casts well and extremely sensitive. Use it rountinely on small waters like those you mentioned. Save the old 9ft 5wt for the Green or Snake Rivers. Pick out a few rods you like and then look to see if they go on sale.
[signature]
You don't have to pay $$$ for a fantastic rod. All of my rods are under $200. With rod prices like that I can get myself 2-3 rods or a nicer reel, line, waders, boots, etc for the price of a pricey rod. There is nothing wrong with those rods and you like them and want them get them. One day I may just build myself one.
[signature]
Woo Hoo Got my X-Mas Present Early Saved the wifey $$$ she was looking to spend 200 to 300 hundred on a rod for me but Cabelas has there Reddington RS3 rod on-sale picked up a 4 piece 8 foot 5w rod for 99.00. !!!

FYI the Lehi store has the 4 piece priced at 127.00 if tell the guy at the counter he should price match. Or you can do what I did and give there customer service a call and thell credit you back the difference.
[signature]
very nice rod, I am sure you will like that ... just so you know I recently got a z-axis rod and it was worth every penny...
[signature]
I had a RS2 8ft 4wt 2 piece rod that I got on sale at cabelas for $99 a few years ago. It casted better than any rod I've ever owned that goes for less than $400 retail. Unfortunately it just shattered in the middle of the distal section when my fly snagged on a weed behind me after owning it a few months. Cabelas replaced it no problem but it shattered again for no reason in the same place a month later. I didn't bother replacing it again. Hopefully you won't have this problem with the 4 piece RS3.
[signature]
ajensen83.. you luck dog you !!! Those Z-Axis rods are butter. I finally got a oppurtunity to cast one real world well in my buddies back yard. But none the less it those rods are sick !!! Only downside was the price tag
I think he paid 500 for his. I wish I could drop that kind of cheese on a flyrod but I drive a much nicer car than he does [Wink]

I think imm gonna take the RS3 for a wirl today Ill have to let you guys know how it cast and hopefully it dosent shatter [crazy]
[signature]