Fishing Forum

Full Version: Wyo Antelope (Photo added)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just got back last night from my first antelope hunt in Wyoming. We spent the first day glassing hundreds (literally) of antelope. Two others in our party scored Friday afternoon, one was 13.5 inches and the other was a hair under 14. Myself and one other fella were the only hold outs. I was holding out because I wasn't very confident in my ability to judge the difference between a good buck and an average buck. Saturday Mmorning we started out early and hunted hard all day making several stalks on what turned out to be small bucks. Well, around 4:30 saturday afternoon we spotted what appeared to be a decent buck amongst a fairly large group of doe's. The stalk was on. After inching our way within 306 yards of the buck we realized the cover was to sparce to move any closer. I grabbed the shooting sticks, leveled off and pulled the trigger. Down he went. My first antelope turned out to be a respectable 15 inches with high cutters. I couldn't be happier. Photos to come....
[inline Lope.JPG]
[signature]
I can't wait for the pictures! We saw several nice Antelope Bucks in our deer hunting area (while muzzle loading this last week), but those tags are given out few and far between.
So we have been kicking around the idea of a Wyoming Lope hunt next weekend instead of Elk hunting in Ut this year, as we didn't see very many elk this last weekend. (We hunt elk the same place we hunt deer)

What area did you hunt in Wyoming, how do you go about getting the tags, is there plenty of public property???, etc. We are considering going this weekend.

If you don't want to reply on the site, pm me. THanks!

Thanks!
Randy
[signature]
Nice work on busting the speed goat! Lookin' forward to the pics.
[signature]
I'd have to check the tag to tell you the unit #, but it's by saratoga. The public land is in 1 square mile blocks which was a bit confusing, but we had a gentlmen in our party that's hunted there for 23 years and he had a really good handle on the boundaries. I'll look up the unit # and pm it to ya.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Do you already have a license? If not I think you will be out of luck. Non-Residents I believe have to either draw out during the Normal draw which is held in the spring or the Left Over draw which was in August. [/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3][/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Here is a link to the to the Wyoming Game and Fish for Left Over tags for the entire state, [url "http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/07loant.pdf"]Click Here[/url]. I would call the number on the list to see if you can buy tags for these areas. One warning about the areas is they are primarly private land areas with very limited public access. That is why there are left over licences, nobody put in for them areas because of the lack of public access.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]BearClaw congrats on the Goat sounds like a nice one. Look forward to the pics.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Later[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks man, probably not as nice as the one in your signature. How big was he?
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]You know I never have even put a tape to him, but I think he is right at 15" just like yours. He is at the taxi right now, I am getting a euro mount done. There is better pics of him on the Wyo board if your interested.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Once again congrats on your first Antelope.[/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Hey bear claw, which unit were you in? Judging pronghorns is harder that you would initially think. I used to put in every year for and it got so hard to draw that I finally quit. I think about 8 % of the nonresidents actually drew out. The last year we hunted I scouted the area several times. I basically played guide for my dad and my brother. My brother wasn't very picky and settled for a 14 inch. Dad shot on that measured 79 and 6/8 the first weekend. I went back to find a big buck I had been watching and got rained out. I ended up with a nice 15 inch buck. They are alot of fun if you do alot of spot and stalk. Looking forward to seeing those pictures. Do you still have the skulls. I could use the lower jaws for my wildlife class gshorhair
[signature]
Braz is correct Randy. You have to draw early and whats left is usually private. I do know that it is getting tougher to draw the goat tags. Even residents have to draw them now. This is due in part to the oil boom again. There are so many applying for the tags because they are working up there and wanting to hunt. So kind of like alot of our tags down here, Just apply and hope for the best.[unsure]
[signature]
Sounds like good times BC. Glad you notched your tag! Looking forward to the pics.[Wink]
[signature]
Hey neto application deadlines for non resident pronghorn tags are due by march 15. If there is anything left it will be doe or fawn tags. Take a look at next spring. There is time to do a little research. The amount of public land varies alot in different units. It seems like there is always left over tags around Kaycee. That is all private and the land owners all charge for the privelege of hunting on their property. gshorthair
[signature]
nice buck cant wait too see it
[signature]
Finally got a picture of my Antelope. That's the last time I go without a camera. Should have more photos in the next few days.
[inline Lope.JPG]
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Nice speed goat BEARCLAW!![/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Thanks, man!
[signature]
who's the old guy in the pic?
[signature]
An old guy[Wink]. Smart A[Tongue]...
[signature]
Nice Goat brotha!

Old Guy? No.

Guide, Chef, packer and BAr tender for me. YEs[cool][Wink][laugh]
[signature]
Bearclaw,

That is an absolutely great goat. I see hundreds of goats a year around my house and they are rarely like that. What makes your goat great is the mass. I am no expert, but I would guess that goat would push the 75-80" range.

Great job
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]The real question is... is it any good to eat? I've heard some mixed reviews on goat...it's always been you either hate it or love it.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]