Fishing Forum

Full Version: Diamond Mountain LE unit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to do some major research on this unit in the next couple of years and I was just wondering if anyone has any info at all on this unit or if anyone has drawn a tag for it.
I know that there is alot of private land that you have to get through before you get to good public hunting ground. Does anyone know of some access points through the private land?
I not asking for secret spots, just a head start so that I can start mapping and researching this area and where the elk are.
[signature]
i have a good freind that owns 3000 plus on dimond. if you want to look into that unit i can find out some stuff for ya. i know he guides deer and elk on his dirt. not sure about tresspass permits. ken
[signature]
Yeah! That would be great if you could find out some info from him. I just need to know where I can go and can't go. Does he have public ground behind his property or anything like that? Does he take some nice bulls on his property?
[signature]
yes and yes. he has 3000 acers with 2 cabins or one cabin and one 5000 ft log home. his dirt goes from the main road about 4 miles in. its a giant pie shape. average bull is 330 ish but they have had a few in the 350 range. the mule deer are good sized on dimond as well. his name is dave barton. he owns iperial motors in vernal. ever herd of the barton buck? world record none type with muzle loader. his older brothers buck.
[signature]
I attached a map of the unit. Which part of the unit are the Elk on? Where is your freinds property according to the map?
[signature]
ill get the info and get it back to ya soon. i printed the map to have him mark it and ill get your address and send it back to ya. if he wants to sell tresspass permits ill have him put his cell on it for ya.
[signature]
Wow! Thanks alot. If you need anything coming from my way, let me know.
[signature]
I drew that tag two years ago and worked really hard to get into some public areas and I grew up in Vernal and know that mountain really well, if you want to sit down with me I can show you everything I found on a topo map. PM me and we can either get together or go back and forth on what I found. I know it will be years before I draw the tag again so you are welcome to all the public land info I've got.
[signature]
so how big was the elk? or did you draw deer?
[signature]
I drew the deer tag and the whole hunt I kept thinking to myself that I wished I had the elk tag because the average size of elk I was seeing was much better than the class of deer I found. I ended up with a decent 26" buck that was fairly heavy, but not exactly what I was expecting to come home with.
[signature]