Fishing Forum

Full Version: oil alarm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 1986 merc. black max 150 and the oil alarm had sounded the other day. I shut the engine and put more oil in the tank but the tank was full as well as the reserve tank on the engine. After I checked it out I started the boat again it ran for a couple hours with out an alarm then it sounded again. I shut the engine off and it was quiet for a few more hours the engine was in idle for a large portion of the day. Any one know how to tell if the oil pump is going bad.
[signature]
give me a few days,i will look into it
[signature]
ok,hopefully i have the answers for you.

1) did you run the oil low before this has happened?

if so,the smaller tank on the motor might be air bound,this doesnt take much beause the sensor is in the cap.
to bleed,take the shoud off,with engine running remove the top screw in the tank,whatch the oil rise,tighten the screw after all the air is out,make sure you have a couple of rags with you.

2) bad oil sender in the oil reservoir.there will be 2 wires coming out of the bottom of the reservoir.start the motor,when the alarms is sounding,disconnect the wires,is alarm goes off theres the problem,unfortunatly the solution is a new tank,mercury made this a sealed unit.
if you have any doubt about the oil injection working,run it on 50:1 pre-mixed,the extraoil will give you a peice of mind & mabe a fould plug or two but if the oil level is going down you should have no worries
[signature]
Thanks for the info. The oil had run low on a previous trip, hopefully this will work.
[signature]