Fishing Forum

Full Version: Tire Chains
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]I'd like to purchase a set of tire chains for my Ford Explorer ... new or used. I would like to get some in anticipation of launching on snowy/icy boat ramps.[/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850][/#002850][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Question: Are there things to consider when buying tire chains? In other words, is there some style that I should avoid or are there things I should look for? Or does any of that even matter … just find the least expensive? Do any of you guys have any recommendations for a good place to buy tire chains?[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]It all depends what you plan on doing with them. Cable "chains" are good on icy, paved roads and are really made for radial tires but nothing grabs in any condition like good old chains. When you need the best traction possible go for real chains.[/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We used to deer hunt late season and always had to chain up all four tires on an old 4WD International Pick Up. We were able to go anywhere and had to pull out a lot of 4WDs when the frozen mud and ice was too slick for just tires.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Also don't forget the chain tensioners, usually a rubber ring with metal hooks on them. Buy a couple more than you need to store along side your chains. you may break one or lose the metal hooks and need to pluck some from your extras.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Coot,

Dunno if you can even find them any more but if I was going to buy chains for what you're looking to do, I'd buy a set of Weed V-bar chains. Those suckers will BITE on an icy ramo.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, Geezer, those chain are available at Cabela's.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Thanks BLM. I guess that once I get a set, I may use them on the open (snow packed) roads but I highly doubt it. I suspect that the only time I will ever use them is on slick boat ramps. And so I will probably just get a set for the front.

Just yesterday, Dr. Flinn went to the Berry and found the ramp covered in an inch of frozen ice (no snow). If it hadn't been for another fisherman there with chains willing to back Flinn's boat down the ramp, Flinn would have probably just headed back home wasting the long trip. That's what has got me thinking about chains to replace the bucket of salt and shovel I carry.[/#002850][/size]
[/font]
[signature]
Just to let ya know - Les Schwab will take back your chains if you don't use them over the winter.

Les Schwad is one of the largest tire chain sellers in the Pacific North West and I got a great pair for about $70 last year for my GMC - 16" tires. They go on easy and have used them hunting for the past two years.

Or you could just carry a bag of kitty liter for the ramp at Bear Lake. [crazy]
[signature]
Ralph, Les swabb sells tire chains and if you dont use them they will take them back in the spring. Kind of a good deal and good backup.
[signature]
Go with steel
[signature]
Do they make tire chains made of something besides steel?

Cabelas' chains run about $119+, I'd go to Les Schwab. I did a healthy search for chains before the deer hunt. LS is the place to go.
[signature]
I should have been more specific. I would't my the cheap cable chains. I would by the heavy duty "chains" not the "cables"
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]I checked at Les Schwab tires today and and they run about $100. But they sure look cheezie compared to the ones we use to deer hunt with. But cheezie is OK because I'll probably just use them on boat launch ramps only.
[signature]
Coot,

Check Smith and Edwards. They usually have a good selection. Not sure on price. But smut and Eddies is worth the trip to rubberneck after you check that out.

RILEY
[signature]