Fishing Forum

Full Version: deer hunting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone. looking for some hunting info. Does anyone now if you can hunt in those little canyons above harrison blvd? I know you can shoot bb guns above the channel. but can you shoot a rifle looking for some muley. thanks for the info
[signature]
no clue?? but if you check the proc it will tell ya.
[signature]
thanks for your reply. all it says is you cant hunt in salt lake between i80 and i15 so i am guessing that i can thanks for your help
[signature]
I was told 2 weeks ago that you have to be 1 1/2 miles from the nearest house and that was from a dwr officer. Take it or leave it. Not sure exactly though.
[signature]
umm,thank you for your reply. it looks like i have call dwr and ask. just to be on the safe side. thanks for your help.
[signature]
the law actually says you have to be 600 feet from any road or structure.... look up utah code 76-10-508.... a lot of cops have the 1 1/2 mile thing in their head because there used to be a theory that a .22 bullet would travel 1 1/2 miles... I still here cops say that but the law is actually 600 feet...
[signature]
I wouldn't consider hunting up there at all. There are tons of people that hike, bike, and run on all of those trails and if they see someone with a gun they will definetly call the police. I have had a few run-ins with people up there while hunting the Ogden extended archery unit, and that was with a bow.
As for the rules, I'm not sure what you can do. I know that tons of people hunt the front side of Bountiful and Farmington with no problems, but I wouldn't risk it with Ogden.
I scout the mountains between N. Ogden Pass and Ogden canyon everyday after work and there are hardy any deer until the snow gets deep. The few deer that I have seen are nothing much, small bucks and thats about it. There are a few good spot up the pass but it usually gets hit pretty hard. If you need any more info or specifics, let me know.
Hookjaw
[signature]
Ajensen,

Well, This Cop knows that it is 600'. I would suggest you take some of Hookjaws advice, I would go to the top by Snow basin and drop over the top if you want to hunt that area. There are some dandy deer up in the tops. But I would not suggest that you come in from the bottom and hike up in to hunt.

There are in deed a great deal of folks, even still this time of year that bike, run, walk their dogs, etc up there from 1100 north to the mouth of Weber Canyon. If they see you up in there with a rifle or dressed to hunt I will almost guarente you that they will make a phone call and some fine officer will be up in there to check you out.

Save your self the hassle and goa round and drop down in. I think you would be surprised at the amount of people that use the Ogden Foot hills for recreation. I dont think that you would see enough deer in there to make it worth your while.

Good luck with your hunt and be Safe!
[signature]