Fishing Forum

Full Version: Tell me why
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]As mentioned before I won a Rio fly line at the BM annual fair. Did you know that the price of fly lines went up again? Sure did - up to $64.95. Ouch. Anyhow I wanted a full sinking line to use at the lakes. The only color Rio makes for this particular line is a dark brown. E-mailed the Rio folks and they said "The only color this fly line is available is a dark brown. Unfortunately there are few color options with sinking fly lines." Anyone care to give a guess as to WHY?[/size][/green][/font]
[center][Image: d311594365c00e4d5cc84ec191b1e3e.jpg][/center]
[signature]
...if I had to guess I would say that because the line is designed to sink into the water.. since it is sinking into the deeper water .. and that water is darker.. the darker colored line would then blend in better with the darker color of the water... but that is a guess... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]The color won't effect the fishing ratio. I think it is more for the manufacture to tell what is what. I love Rio and I will be switching lines out as time goes by to the Rio (the Windcutter and the Trout Select is awesome line)[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]Anyway, sinking line is like lead core with PVC coating. More weight for the faster sinking. But if you held a #6 floating next to a #6 sinking, you will see sinking line is way thinner to cut through the water better where floating needs mass/density for floatation.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]Now for the color. I currently own the CLEAR CAMO Intermediate which the name says it all, although Orvis has an Intermediate in clear or Buckskin and a striper intermediate in a pale blue. I have a Type I that is a light Gray or pale blue (and in my opinion Type one sinks slightly faster than Intermediate), A Type II that is Green (with a darker green about 15' at the end for stripping purposes) A Type III that is Brown, a Type IV that is a dark gray and a Type VII that is black. Now the Three and the Seven are Rio, but the rest are Orvis, but I just think it is a color code so you can tell the weight of the line.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]So, going off of this chart, did you get a Type III?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]It is a type 3. i.e. "Deep 3: WF6S ~ 3-4 inches per second." I know that the color won't be a problem, I just would have perferred a lighter shade. [/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][/center]
[signature]
...and here I was dead on with the water color thingy.. [sly].. but what you say does make a lot of sense...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Sweet new Avatar...DREAM MACHINE?[cool]
[signature]
... ya'll know me way to well... [Smile] actually I was looking at it on ebay today.. the price there was about 80.00 cheaper than at a regular sports shop.. amazed me the difference.. then I did a little paint.net on it and came up with what you see... glad ya'll like it....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]