Fishing Forum

Full Version: Using a shock leader
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! Ok I was reading some articles about using a shock leader when casting from the surf, like of the ground casting the pendulum, and over head casting. I read that you need to use at least 10lb line for each ounce of the sinker weight. I have a question. Do I have to rig the shock leader line, or do I ad a smaler line to rig at the end of the shock leader? I´m a bit Confused, hope to read from you soon.
Thank you very much!
[signature]
The only thing the shock leader is for is so you can really whip the sinker in the air with out risk of loosing your rig. So, simply tie on a top shot of about 10 yards of heavy mono and you're good. The ratio you mentioned sounds pretty good, but I would say 50lb mono is as heavy as you'd want to go. It should handle anything you can bring it, up to a 6 or 7 oz lead.

You can attach you two line with a albright knot. See Below:

[Image: albright_special.jpg]
[signature]
Ok thank yu very much, is good to know about the 50lb line, because I recently bought a spool at basspro. Also great knot.
[signature]