Fishing Forum

Full Version: IS THERE A BETTER EPOXY?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been tying poppers and crease flies, and when I put my epoxy finish on them some remain soft while others harden nicely. I have been using the locktite 2 parts. I have used 1min with self mixer, 5 min selfmixing and the mix it yourself kinds it seem like 60% harden the right way. Anyone else have this problem or have the solution?
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]Hi there tailgrabber - and welcome to the Fly Fishing boards. Nice set of poppers. I have been using Loctite Pro Epoxy 5 min 2 part mixture.[Home depot] I have found that the key to getting a correct set is to be sure that you have equal quantities to mix. And most importantly mix it thoroughly. When I rush things a bit that is when I don't get a proper mix and it won't set correctly.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]

Try using Sally Hansens "Hard As Nails" Nail polish. It is fairly thick but is thinner than a 2 part epoxy. I have seen it posted where people use it for poppers. I can't remember what a crease fly is.

Clear Softex might be something to consider. It does not glue to a hard finish but do you really need a hard finish? For some reason my weak memory is telling me that I have read where people have used the Softex on crease flies.

When using two part epoxies it is critical to have the 50/50 mix. I generally find that I have to keep adding one part or the other to get what looks like two equally size blobs of each component when just eyeballing it. By the time I have accomplished that I end up with at least 3 times more than what I need mixed. It is better to waste some glue than not have the right mix ratio. Then I spend a fair amount of time mixing the two parts together using a bodkin. Just got to remember wiping the bodkin clean before you start on the flies.

I have not done any poppers or crease flies but I am now living in an area where I think I will need to start learning to tie such things.
[signature]
aahhhh I may have an answer for you on the crease flies.. basicially you are taking a thin foam material and cutting it in the shape of the "fish" that you want to imitate.. after preparing the hook you then fold the foam material over the hook and press it together (the foam is sticky backed)... once you have dont that you then paint the fish to imitate the species desired..

.. my explanation may not make sense so here is a link on [url "http://www.buzfly.com/html/crease_flies.html"]crease flies[/url] that you may find more informative..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Crease flies: Ah, Yes, now that I have seen a picture and MacFly's description - I read an article about them a while back. But don't remember where.
[signature]
... you are like me I think.. I read a lot of different things in different places and when the time comes I remember what was said.. but not where it was said.. [Smile]...

.. I have seen some of those kits at san diego fly .. for the crease flies and the poppers.. I dont remember the expense.. but then again when it comes to tying flies I am learning to try not to look at the expense to hard.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]

Thanks for the info. The crease fly works good on bonnito and albies. I had made some larger poppers with rattles in them in hopes of getting out and doing some stripper fishing this fall, but It looks like I will be missing this years run. At least I'll have plenty of flies for next year.
[signature]
TG,

I am not sure where you are from but I do know that poppers will work on bass and crappies.. the first two fish I caught on a fly rod were a lmb one day and a good sized crappie the next day. I was using a popper with a # 10 hook made to look like a small frog... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
It sounds like you are from the West Coast by the named species.

I also use the Loctite products. They seem to work better for the type of lures I make too.[cool]
[signature]
I am from Pa, Haven't gotten to fish the westcoast yet. I use the locktite 2 part epoxy the one in the seperate tubes mostly. But I have also used the kind that come in the seringe, and about 60% of the time it doesn't harden right. I would say maybe it is a climate condition, but if I epoxy 4 at the same time atleast one won't harden right. And you know it's always the one you think will work the best.
[signature]
[black][size 3]If you want an adhesive that you can depend on 100% of the time, go to a golf shop, and get their two part epoxy. Comes in two containers, and can be mixed in any amount that you need.[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]It has an overnight cure, but will stand up any any conditions.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]I've used several adhesives for various projects, and many are good for a particular purpose, but if I need the "Mac-daddy" of all adhesives, I use the one used for golf club assembly.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
..I had no idea that golf shops had expoxies like this.. but it makes sense.. something has to be used to keep the club parts together... [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Pristina"][green][size 4]As I said in my post above Home Depot has apoxie available in several different dispensers. The plunger type [two cylinders] that dispenses equal parts of material is not the most economical purchase. Plus I found it to be kind of messy.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Pristina"][green][size 4][cool]As I said in my post above Home Depot sell epoxy in several different dispensers. I found that the two cylinder dispenser is rather messy and certainly not the most economical way to purchase epoxy.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[black][size 3]One other good thing about the golf club epoxy, is the economy of purchase. [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]When I was building and repairing golf clubs, I purchased it in large squeeze bottle containers (like mustard/catsup bottles). [/size]
[size 3]when I was not using it in volume, it would get thick in the containers. A simple few seconds in the microwave, would renew the two parts, and it was as good as new. Using it that way, it will last several years.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]The only way to get it apart is by use of a heat gun. Believe me, this stuff works.[/size]
[size 3][/size]
[signature]
I like the Microwave idea. I never thought to give that a try.

I have 5 minute epoxy that has the attached dual plungers. I have a hard time getting equal amounts out as one side has a lot of resistance to flowing and the other side flows easily.

Heating it may or may not make that work better. I will have to give it a try.
[signature]
..I have heard numerous times that that set up is trouble with one side working better than the other.. if you do the microwave thing Id be curious to hear your results...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]