Fishing Forum

Full Version: Scouts ... Ice-Fishing & Campout.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am thinking about taking the scouts to pelican for a campout / Ice fishing trip.

If not pelican ... LBH or ???

Any Ideas?
[signature]
Great place for catching lots of fish.
It's a long drive for 1 day and far to cold for a camp-out in that basin unless you have motor homes and trailers.

Are you thinking 1 day or 2?
[signature]
If you are willing to drive a bit you could go to fish lake and camp at sunglow campground near bicknell. The campground is lower in elevation than the lake so it is a bit warmer.
[signature]
oh come on do it the right way. [sly] take them up to huntington dig some snow caves out throw some strow in and have a good o'll scout camp out.. fishing should be good for a while longer..
[signature]
I have taken scouts ice fishing and camping to several lakes in the past:
Grantsville reservoir - not sure it has safe ice yet
Strawberry - ice only in some bays
Jordanelle - the rock cliff area has good camp sites and fishing is usually pretty good, don't know about ice conditions
Currant Creek - 8 inches of ice as of last Saturday, can get quite cold (4 degrees last Saturday). About 7 years ago I took scouts up here and it got very cold (-15 to -20 at 6 AM) and they have never asked me to take them again.
[signature]
They aren't opening the campgrounds at Strawberry this year but are keeping them open at Rockport. Our scouts seem to have a good time there.
[signature]
How thick is the ice at Rockport? I am taking some scouts somewhere on the 5th. They want to spend the night. Scofield was a choice except it is so far away and last saturday it was -6 at 7 am. Mudd Creek is another choice, which is closer than Scofield. I didn't think about Rockport. I may have to check it out Monday.
[signature]
Second on the ice caves. 45 to 50 degrees all night. Just don't forget the vent holes.
[signature]
Call East Canyon and see if they have a Yurt available. It will cost the troop a few bucks but it would provide a dry, semi warm place to sleep, get out of the weather and cook food.
[signature]
If you want to go to east canyon check the ice conditions. I heard it only has about an inch of ice as of wednesday. The yurt part would be fun and alot warmer than pelican. gshorthair
[signature]