Fishing Forum

Full Version: Yuba Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can perch parts be used as bait while fishing in Yuba? With all the [#ff0000]Goofy Regs [/#ff0000][#000000]at Yuba this year just thought I would inquire. I didn't see anything specific in the Proclamation but could have missed it.[/#000000]
[signature]
Yes. Page 27 in the fishing guidebook
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yep. That is about the only thing they got right with the new perch regs. I was half expecting them to restrict Yuba to the use of perch meat. But, it is listed among the waters where perch meat is allowable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah team.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even if they didn't, there are many other "meat baits" that work well in Yuba. Fillet of sucker or chub has always been good. And, "carp cutlets" work surprisingly well. Most of the predators target small carp until they get too big to munch. I used to cruise the shorelines looking for a carp to "force feed" to use for jig sweetener. I prefer smaller carp, which I first scale and then fillet. I use my fillet knife to slice off most of the meat, leaving only a thin layer next to the skin. Then I slice the meaty skin into strips and pin them to my jigs. The carp skin is tough and so is the meat even without skin. A small "power bait" sized nugget of carp meat stays on the hook well and all the fish in Yuba love it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hint...a six inch long carp strip on a swimming jig can be deadly for big northerns.[/#0000ff]
[signature]