Fishing Forum

Full Version: Rockport on tthe 13th
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hit Rockport this morning. Started right after dayligt. Snowed lightky most of the morning and new snow makes pulling the sled a pain. Fishing was really slow. The slowest Ive had in a long time. Landed one trout and 2 small perch. Checked around and nobody seemed to be doing much. We were in 52' water soo yds out from boat ramp again. Lot of people there did ant BFTers go up today? Did you do any better than we did?
[signature]
I have hit The Rock now 5 times in a week and a half. Fishing has been so slow it really isnt worth the miles I have to put in for it..[unsure]
I guess I will have to settle for E.C. or causey.. Hope it picks up at the rock.. Please keep posting on the rock..
[signature]
We fished Rockport yesterday the 12th, Fish over near the damm, Looked like most of the people were over near the 3rd bathroom stop. Fishing was slow Iced 4 12" to 16" inch rainbows no perch we tried evertyhing from swedish pimples and green jig heads tipped with wax and meal worms. Just FYI the hill down and up from the lake is a real pain in the ass
[signature]
My Brother, my Nephew, my son and myself hit the rock yesterday (the 12th) and fishing was slow. We were fishing between the dam and the first pullout after the dam and we caught four rainbow's all day. We tried Deer Creek a couple of weeks ago and did much better on trout. Have a great week! Sincerely John R.
[signature]
We had three of us up there on sat. only iced 4 fish. 2 perch, 1 trout, 1 white sucker. The bite was very slow. We tried everything in the tackle box but still nothing. Ice was about 7-8 inches thick over by the ramp.
[signature]
We were there on the 13th. We were on the west side of the lake, north of the other fishermen, at 28'. We only managed three rainbows and one lost perch. Ice was 7" to 8".
[signature]
Kastmaster and I were up there on Saturday (3rd outhouse), and we did very well. I took home a limit of 20 perch in about 4 hours and Kastmaster got close. Most of my perch were nice 8-10 inchers. I didn't get any huge ones this time but Kastmaster scored an 11 incher for the contest. We were on the west side. Rat finkies tipped with meal worms was the best, even outperforming perch meat this day. We both also caught several trout from 8-15 inches. I had similar results 2 weeks ago, with even bigger fish.

A few observations.
1. Most people fishing on the west side were fishing too far South.
2. 32 feet was a good depth early but by 9AM, you needed to move deeper into the 35-36 ft. depth. Most of the people I saw were fishing too shallow for perch.
3. You needed to move around to stay on them. Don't be afraid to drill a few holes and explore. If no bites occur and if the finder is inactive after 15 minutes, move.
4. The same applies if you are only catching little "rat" perch. The fish tend to move in size specific schools, and if the fish are small, move and find a bigger school. This happened to us Saturday a couple of times.
5. Try tipping your jigs with different things if you are getting refusals. Usually, perch meat does work best, but not on Saturday.

I hope this helps.
[signature]