Fishing Forum

Full Version: Cow Elk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I'm finally getting around to posting up a report on last weeknds cow hunt. My kid has been sick and felt it wasn't fair unless she shared the bug with my wife and I.
Arrived at the property around 6:30 am. To my surprise we were the only ones there that early. We started gearing up as the skies started to lighten. By the time we we're ready to leave the vehicles we started seeing elk right away. Good sign. We headed through the gate just as it was gettin to be shootin light. We only made it about 2miles in and the animals were everywhere. Can't remember when I saw that many elk scattered throught the foothills. Several batches of 30 or more elk were everywhere. I ranged in what I felt to be a nice sized cow at 353 yards, took a steady rest and let one fly. Down she went. Took almost a half hour in snow shoes to walk over to her, man the snow is gettin deep up there. Can't wait to finish up the brauts and the rest of the butchering. Gonna have a huge Q for superbowl sunday.
[inline 4BFTIMGP1133.jpg]
[signature]
Nice work! Looks like a great animal. What did you put her down with?
[signature]
Thanks Brandon. I used my .338 with a 225gr trophy bonded. I even found the slug while performing surgery.[Wink]
[signature]
Nice![Smile]
[signature]
Good job.

I got a cow last month. I bought stuff to make brauts (sp). I would be interested in your recipe to make them, if you don't mind sharing.

I bought a kit from Cabelas, but I haven't tried it with the elk yet.
[signature]
[font "Tempus Sans ITC"][#808000][size 3]Very nice Bearclaw, looks very tasty to me!![/size][/#808000][/font]
[signature]
Very nice cow chad, is it the mother to LH2's elk?
[signature]
Nice dude, you da hunter man.

I enjoy the eats but never learned the concept of hunting. Tooooooooo many beers and not enough patience.
[signature]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Nice work BEARCLAW!![/#ff4040][/font]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040][/#ff4040][/font]
[font "Lucida Console"][#ff4040]Am I invited over for superbowl sunday?[Wink][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
Dang that looks huge in the picture one day ill kill me an elk [pirate]
[signature]
[size 1]Congratulations Chad, it sounds like it was a fun hunt. Were you able to get it out whole or did you have to make several trips in and out? Sounds like some good eats this year.[/size]
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]Congratulations Brandon, [/size] [/reply]

Bearclaw's name is Chad
[signature]
Thanks for having my back Jason, it's tough getting old and forgetting names[unsure]. I guess I should learn to use profiles, instead of memory.
[signature]
It's all good Curt. I forget sometimes to,
[signature]
Well done, Chad. Should make some fine steaks. I'm just about out of elk in my freezer and making jerky of the deer. I might have to shoot another one next year (hint, hint) to refill the freezer. I'll bring the gatling gun this time [Wink].
[signature]
Nice. I took one up by the Gorge on Saturday. Nice 75 yd shot. Terrible 3 hour sled pull back to the truck. 2 hours in the dark.

Good job.
[signature]
I'll pm ya my recipe. Hardest part was finding a good, reasonable priced source for the casings. Do you own a grinder and/or sausage stuffer?
[signature]
Gonna try my first roast tonight. Not many things rival elk meat, except maybe those wyo. antelope[Wink]..
[signature]
You bring the beer![Wink]
[signature]
I do have both a grinder and a sauage stuffer. I have used the stuffer once on summer sauage, that came out pretty good.
I would really like to make some brauts.
Thanks for the info.
[signature]