Fishing Forum

Full Version: Quick trip to LBH...in for a crowd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After seeing TD's post about the new "park" down by Lindon Boat Harbor, I took a quick drive by to see what it was all about. Very, very nice. As an avid cyclist the trail is awesome with covered picnic tables every 50 yds or so. The beach area appears to have had some sand brought in and there is lots of room for picnics, etc. and a very large parking lot on the east side of the road.

As I looked out over the new area, two thoughts came to mind:
1. This is going to become a very, very popular spot. With all the room, tables, the trail, and easy access from the Lindon Boat harbor, I am sure many people will launch thier boats and PWC's at LBH, then drive the family and friends over in the suburban, unload and use the area as the "home base" while out skiing, wakeboarding, and doing all sorts of other "non-fishing" activities.

2. How long before all of this gets trashed by light night rabble looking for a place to party and cause general mischief.

So, my conclusion is that we can probably look to enjoy this little spot early in the year after ice-off and late in the fall--both times when the water is cold enough to discourage the power squadron. Otherwise, I think that this spot will be pretty well lost to us given its proximity to the larger population centers in the valley. Still, it is a nice facility and my hope is that with more people using the lake, there could be an increase in awareness over issues facing the lake and its well-being and encourage some action to clean things up. I reiterate, that is my HOPE, though it is probably very unlikely. Fingers crossed.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I share your pessimistic outlook. That spot is gonna go trash city as soon as the weather warms up. I only hope that the deputy I talked to had it right. He assured me that there will be a lot more supervision of the area since the county has big plans to develop the area.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are limited to fishing evenings and weekends, it is not likely to be fisherman friendly. However, for midweek mornings and during cold months, it will work well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news is that there are lots of other spots around the lake to launch a tube and to fish with some degree of solitude, even on weekends. I will be hitting one of those soon and will post more info.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The thing that will keep the power squadron away from that area is that it is really shallow for a good hundred yards out from shore.
[signature]
Not really looking forward to the extra crowds in the area but like 2fishon said you won't be getting a boat too close to the sandy area. Can't remember how many times I have launched there and still forget how far you have to walk to get deep enough water for a tube. Could be interesting watching boats that don't know that come in too fast and come to sudden stop.
[signature]
Actually, I would like to see that--and see how many PWCs get the impellors clogges with Utah Lake pcb-rich lake bottom mud!
[signature]
Speaking for the Flying Predators in that area - The BUGS want all you folks to "Come on Down"..... we're Hungury as Hell and we're going to take all the bites we can get..... yum yum yum.....
[signature]
That's for sure. Lots of reeds etc. Anyone know how deep the reed line is in that area? Looks like a pretty fishy area and seems it would be a good place for forage to hide and bass to come chow down on them, but maybe not so much if it is only a few inches deep. Anyone know off hand?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]When I tubed it last week, the open water out to the edge of the reed line was less than 2 feet for a long ways. It dropped to about 3 feet as I rounded the closest edge and then to about 4 feet along the outside edge. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The lake should rise another foot or two...at least. The reeds pretty much ring the whole lake, and there are small fish and crawdads in all of it. Very fertile. Also lots of bass using the reeds both as cover and a dining room. Tough to fish but worth it if you find where the fish are holding.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Starting about May, the catfish take up residence in the thick stuff to spawn. Fishng a bobber and bait next to the reeds, and inside little pockets can get a lot of action.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After the white bass and carp spawn, there will be lots of fry hiding in the reeds and the white bass and walleyes often forage right in the middle of the junk. I have seen "boils" back inside where it was impossible to fish. But, casting weedless plastics and small single hook spinners along the edges can get fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Short answer. Plenty of depth and plenty of fish in the reeds along that stretch of shoreline. Some spots are deeper than others. You just need to work them to find the best ones.[/#0000ff]
[signature]