Fishing Forum

Full Version: Starvation, Strawberry, Deer Creek Ice Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went up to Starvation yesterday to check on my buddies cabin, and see if we could get out on the ice to find some perch. Came up Provo Canyon so Passed 3 lakes..

Deer Creek Ice. Looks like if you are really itchin' to get on the water in a boat (certainly an aluminum..) You could launch at the main Island launch ramp, Creep along the 12-15' wide gap from shore to ice, go around the SE side of the Island, then you're home free. Lake is open from the Island North. When we came back past deer creek on the way home ice looked to have cleared an additional 4-5 feet, and a few big chunks had blown free. Nowhere on the lake looked like you could get on the ice w/out a good plank.

Starvation Ice.
Checked the weather, said 10-20 mph winds from NW
1st stop; Indian Bay.. Not a chance! Winds coming from SW 30 mph. It was strong enough to make me walk like a drunken sailor. Took a lot of effort just to open my truck door. It's like it was saying "Get outta here.. can't ya see I am tryin to clean up this ice!?"

Ice is melted back away from the shore far enough you might not be able to cast onto it. With the wind.. You were likely to cast behind you!
Left Indian, went to the Main marina.. Looking for the South East shores for better chance of getting on ice.. NOPE.. ice melt is 10-15' from shore. Need a serious Plank to get on it. Then headed and stopped at the ranger station to ask him.. He was on a personal phone call.. He motioned "1 sec" with his finger, and went into his office.. I waited ~5 minutes and Bailed. I Honestly like the laid back attitude of small towns, nobody is in a hurry to do anything. No big deal.
Headed up over the Dam... water was about 6-7' below the overflow spillway, not bad. Here on the dam would probably be your best bet to get on the ice with a plank. Water was cleared out about 6' from shore. Ice was a good foot thick judging by the Large boulders that had been hefted onto the ice and melted partially through.
Found some ice that touched the shore on the other side of the dam and down the hill. Thought I would test it out so I threw a 4# rock at it.. For a second I thought I threw it into a big slurpee.. Ice is Rotten!
Oh well... this is what I expected.. and had a backup plan.

Strawberry.

Strawberry ice is there till about oh, I'd say JUNE! Fished it, will post report later.
[signature]
Thanks for the lake report! If you were to guess, how long before you could float a boat on Starvation?
[signature]
Thanks
[signature]
In years past, it has been cleared by now, or almost. I would give it a good 2 weeks. I hope to be up there in 3 weeks so if my vooDoo skills still work, it should be cleared by then.
Pikeman was up there fishin on the 9th of March in Indian bay, he walked onto the ice. You saw what it did in the last 2 1/2 weeks at indian bay.
There was open water out in the middle coming off one of the arms. 2 weeks and I bet it's open..Hopefully the next 2 weeks will be more productive than the previous 2 1/2.
[signature]