Fishing Forum

Full Version: Deer Creek 4/4/08
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fished Deer creek today in the boat, limited access to open water at the boat ramp by the island in the morning you could squeeze between the ice and the shore until you got out past the island then it opened up and was ice free from the island to the provo river inlet. The wind picked up in the afternoon and we started noticing movement in the ice sheet to the west of us so we decided to get back to the truck, we loaded up the boat and by the time we got to the top of the ramp the ice had stacked up on the island, completely closing off boat access to the open water[Sad] WHen we got to the highway we noticed a seam in the ice about 20' wide going out across the entire lake. By the looks of things I think the ice will be off in about another week or so, as for boats this weekend it doesn't look promising. As for the fishing it was really slow, we tried everything from trolling to jigging to bait fishing and only caught 1, but it was a nice brown maybe a pound or so. Picked it up trolling a rapala. There were about 5 other boats throughout the day on the water and we only talked to one other guy who had even caught one. The water will get warmer in the next couple of weeks and it should turn on after that. Fish On!
[signature]
I was there also I was fishing from shore and nada in two hours. The loons were kinda fun watch. It was a beaut of a day. Kind of frustrating.
[signature]
Thanks for your report, I was going to head up there tomorrow morning. I'll probably wait.
[signature]
I am really surprised it turned out to be such slow fishing, the weather must have done it. Better luck next time then, and nice job keeping track of the ice and tellin us about it.
[signature]
[reply]
[/quote]
I was there too, in the fishing raft anchored onto the ice edge. Thought for sure I would have caught at least one fish, but it wasn't to be. I noticed two boats that got trapped by the ice sheet. You must have been in the big boat that got through right before those ones. There was one group of guys that insisted on getting through and were breaking it with the oar. I swear it took them half an hour to move 15 feet through the ice. Another guy behind them decided to go around the island and pull up a truck over there to pick up the boat. One advantage of having a raft i guess.

I was surprised how much ice it still has. That reservoir is about 90% ice. Only the northern part around the island and in the wallsburg arm was there open water.

As a matter of fact, I took some pictures....
[signature]
Ya that was us we barely made it out of there, we were over on the opposite side and noticed the ice moving fast towards us so we boogied out of there just in time, in fact we were only about 10 minutes loading up the boat by then it was completely closed in around the island, close call. What an ending to a lousy day of fishing[shocked]
[signature]
I'm new to the site. Thought I would pass on a little tibit on fishing deer creek. Forty two years ago I used to fish there with my dad, caught mostly rainbow and perch with very few largemouth. Any who owr go to color was orange. Orange rapala, orange spinners, orange kamaloops, orange kastmasters well you get my point. Last time I fished it was spring summer and fall of 2004. Yes orange still worked for rainbows. It seems amazing to me that that same color still works!
This time of the year I like to fish at night for walleye throw'n shad raps or 3'' grubs. Here I like silver and black, pink and white, or chartruse. Seems like just before dark there is a bite if your on the spot.
[signature]