Fishing Forum

Full Version: Is it just me or is Cabela's really expensive?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I stopped by Cabela's yesterday on my way back from a meeting in Draper....was more of a curiosity trip as I had no intention on buying anything. It seemed that things were really expensive? Whether it was lures, bait or equipment. It wasn't limited to fishing either, I like to shoot trap and buy shells in bulk when I can, but they were expensive too. Is it just me or are they really more expensive than other places? Did I just miss the bargains? I anticipated finding better deals in a big place like that.
[signature]
How do you think they can afford to build them all over the country? I went in there last month looking for a rain jacket and was not very impressed. I first went to the 'bargain cave' and found no bargains. Sometimes the Cabelas' brand gear you can get a good deal on and after season clothing/equipment but I still go to Sportsmans to buy gear or order online from BPS.
[signature]
I've never actually been in the store (though I would like to go see the aquariums I hear they have!). I did buy some wool "glomits" (gloves with the fingers cut off, then a flap to make it a mitten) online, and they were only $15 even after shipping. I thought that was pretty good.
A bit too big, because their paper catalog says they have women's, but you can only order mens online. Oh well! I'll just wash them in hot water a few times LOL
[signature]
Like everywhere you have to be selective in what you buy. I have found that buying one of the Cabela brand "Kit" boxes as good deals, like wise with their bulk jigs, road runners, spinner blades and other tackle craft items.
On the other hand this spring at a "big" sale, sports was still reg. price cheaper on Rapala's.

In general I think all "good" sporting goods are expensive. Good rods, reels, guns, clothes, boots, truck accessories... It's all expensive.
[signature]
I totally agree....somehow they have got to pay for that facility!!! Sportsmans I find is more convenient and reasonable.
[signature]
I have found that on certian fishing tackle such as tube jigs, spinners, bearings, weights, and lures Sportsman's and FishTech are a little cheaper than Cabela's. However, I think this is because they are so close to each other. I have been to Cabela's in Sydney, Nebraska, and Minnesota; They both had great prices on all tackle and equipment.

You will find that they have a big selection on what they sell, and you can pick out some high-quality stuff. You just need to be a wise consumer. They have great prices on electronics, fish finders, shoes, and outbards.

If you buy from Cabela's on a regular basis, and make a couple of big purchases, they will begin to send you special offers. For example, I recieved a $50 off coupon on a purchase over $100. I bought me an Ardent Reel, and used the $50 to buy a heavy-duty tackle bag-it is a real strong bag, ought to last me at least 20 years.

I am not trying to advertise for Cabela's, just describing my experience with them. To that end, I will say that it is a great place to shop for various outdoor supplies.
[signature]
I think a lot of their prices are ridiculous. On the other hand, they can come out with some good specials sometimes. They have a good add on the day after Thanksgiving and sometimes right before hunting seasons start.
Just like others have said, the Cabelas brand seems to be a little cheaper in price. I mainly just go there because of selection and to drool over the aquarium. [crazy]
[signature]
Yes I do agree that they are relatively expensive, BUT if you look for some of the deals that they have then you MAY just get a bargain. I do know this though, they have the BEST customer service of anyone that I have ever dealt with before. Last year I ordered a 5HP B & S kicker motor from the Cabela's catalog (online). When it arrived I decided that I better give her a test run before heading down to Powell, so I filled the garbage can full of water and dunked her in. She ran for about 2 minutes and seized up. I called customer service, and to make a long story short, they upgraded my motor from the $700 piece of garbage Briggs & Straton to a Nissan that was $1199.00 for free!!! Plus they had it at my house within 2 days and picked up the other. Anyhow, just my little story to the post.
TS
[signature]
I usually try to pre-plan what I need to get, and compare between them and Sportsman before my purchase.
Hooks and sinkers usually at Sportsmans. Everything else, I have to try and find a bargain. Its usually 50/50 between the two.
[signature]
Personally I love Cabelas. Overall prices seem reasonable, especially if you know the "going rate" and pass up the stuff that you know you can get elsewhere cheaper. If you look for what's on sale or in the bargain cave, you can find some real screaming deals.

I live in Syracuse, so when I go I usually make a day (or a reasonable portion) of it. I really enjoy the entire experience, if not the crowds. The couple of times I have had problems I have found their service second to none.

The only problem I usually have is that if I have a little discretionary cash, I always overspend whatever amount I had in mind when I headed down there.
[signature]
I've had things go wrong with Cabelas items that I purchased there and when I went to exchange them I didn't get any kind of hassle. I'm willing to pay more to a compay that will stand behind their products if they fail. But yeah, the regular prices are generally a little higher. But, on the other hand, they don't charge admission and I always enjoy looking at their displays. Even if they are the same every time.
[signature]
I love Cabela's for their customer service. Last year I returned a pair of waders because they had a leak in the foot. I had used them for two years and they gladly exchanged them for me no questions asked. Also I use my Cabela's card for everything. Just this year I have received over $250 worth of Cabela's points. Don't waist your time in the bargain cave. I have a brother that works back in Sidney in their corporate office. He says that if you will watch for things to go on sale that you get a pretty good deal. Also their stock is really hurting right now so they are going to be making a big push to sell more product. Watch for prices to be coming down.

C&R
[signature]
Cabelas is the worst, go to sports warehouse or if you want to save more money check walmart and kmart, kmart has name brand items for a fraction of the price of those other places.
[signature]
Ya id say there 2% to 3% more expensive then most stores but like mentioned earlier they have allot of overhead. But when there items go on sale you can find some real good deals. I recently bought a vest that originally was 69.99 and on sale for 25.00
[signature]
Ive found alot of good deals ordering off bass Pro Shops webcite.
[signature]
I have shoped all three, sportsmans, cabella's, and BPS. With cabella's sign up for their club card visa and you get money back in cabella dollars. They also send you certificates to save 25 dollars off any purchase of 100 or more. I bought my boat there, do not do that they are not a registered boat dealer in UT and it was a PAIN to get it registered!
[signature]
On most things Sportsmans is a little cheaper than Cabelas on the same or similar products. There are things that I will buy exclusively at Sportsmans just because I know what I am getting and it is a bit cheaper. But Sportsmans can't even dream about competing with Cabelas customer service....so if I'm buying something "big" that I plan to use for a long time I will pay the extra here and there to get the quality customer service from Cabelas.

Tippet, weights, indicators, tying materials, etc, etc, etc are the same no matter what, so might as well get the cheaper ones at Sportsmans.
[signature]
This was my third time there, but had never seen the aquariums. They are pretty neat. The have some awful big fish in there. I started fantasizing about having one of them big ones hooked. There were some kids on a field trip while I was there, you should have seen the expresion on some of those kids. It was neat.
[signature]
[quote trout_slayer]. I called customer service, and to make a long story short, they upgraded my motor from the $700 piece of garbage Briggs & Straton to a Nissan that was $1199.00 for free!!! Plus they had it at my house within 2 days and picked up the other. TS[/quote]

How can I do that I want that nissan but can't afford it but free upgrading sounds great. Were they out of the B&S motors? Or did you just pitch a fit and they surrendered?
[signature]
Hell yes they are priced to high! But......... there selection is unsurpassed and the customer service is top notch. My buddy bought a pair of hodgeman duckhunting waders from sportsmans like 3-4 years ago. Took them, got them all muddy and dirty, they were to tight. He had no receipt and no box, took them in still muddy, and they returned them no questions asked. I think that they have a lot of clout with the companies they buy from and can return anything they feel necessary. My $.02.
[signature]