Fishing Forum

Full Version: Fished ice-off at Strawberry today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally got to fish ice-off at Strawberry for the first time. Didn't get there until late afternoon. First tried Mosquito Bay and didn't get a bite. I then went over by The Strawberry Marina, and found little open water and no fish. I then tried fishing from the docks that are in the end of the bay northwest from The Lodge. Nada. I then headed down the road towards Renegade. I was in my Taurus and I recently took off the snow tires, so I was a little concerned about road conditions. I had to drive on the wrong side of the road for aways, but the snow was gone just enough to travel past Bryant's Fork and just past some corrals that they have along the side of the road to the next point. Walked down on that point and there were two other guys down there flyfishing. They seemed to be doing fairly well. In the next 1 1/2 hours I managed to catch three and miss several others. I caught one on a whole minnow under a bobber. I caught one on an off-white tube with black speckles, and I caught one on a small white octopus type plastic jig. I predict a week from today they will be fishing Strawberry from boats.
[signature]
glad to see you get up there at i-o. thanks for the update on the ice. sounds like a great time.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Kent. Where the fish you caught in the slot?
[signature]
Thanks for the update Kent, sounds like you did good for your first ice off outing. In the area that you caught the fish, how far was the ice from the shore?
[signature]
Looks like I need to get the boat ready for the weekend.
[signature]
All the fish that I caught were in the slot. I missed one that looked like it might have gone over the slot.
[signature]
The ice was anywhere from 50 to 120' from the shore where I fished. In one bay there was over 100 yards of open water.
[signature]
Okay then, how is the snow on land around the shady hills?
[signature]
It is wet and cold and it is melting fast.
[signature]